Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: RFC: OpenACS Governance

Collapse
Posted by Randy Ferrer on

Should education and training issues be included here? I really think so. Also, some real strong documentation guidelines need to be created as well. We have some of that in the package creation guidelines, but not for the whole of oacs. If oacs is to be succesful at a broader level, I can't stress enough how important this is. I'm saying this not only from my own experience so far with oacs, but from feedback from friends who have looked at oacs as well and all made comments about the documentation as well as the questions that keep coming up in the forums. We have some great efforts for docs ongoing, but I think setting some guidelines out is going to be necessary to streamline the whole process moving forward. What does this have to do with governance? Everything! In my experience unless good, clear guidelines are set-out "from the top", documentation efforts will rarely jell together and be consistent in the way that we (the community) need the documentation to jell and be consistent.

In this process, I think that it will be important to consider creating a "best practices" area on the site with easy access to printing and downloading of same. This should be carried out as agreed on by the "governing body" who have been working with OACS longer than probably anyone in the community and have a more intimate knowledge of the framework. This would go a long way towards helping new oacs developers get up to speed quickly and thus be able to pick up more responsibility for the community as well. As one of my professor's says - "a good example is always worth a few hundred lines of code, not to mention a few hundred less explanations to repeat..." Just my two cents worth.... 😊))