Forum OpenACS Development: Re: named objects

Collapse
17: Re: named objects (response to 1)
Posted by Timo Hentschel on
Sorry Dirk, but I still think showing something - although the user might not be able to understand it - is better than creating separate worlds in one and the same system - worlds in which some objects do or do not exist from the users point of view. But to make you happy, the user could explicitly tell the system (user parameter?) to only show content in his language and in no other.
Collapse
18: Re: named objects (response to 17)
Posted by Dirk Gomez on
I don't really have a fixed opinion :) - I can happily go along with your approach as well.

E. g. both arguments somewhat hold:

- it doesn't make sense to show an object in a "random" language.

- the category tree needs to be translated completely and a "out-of-bound" category item may lead to users asking for a complete translation. It may be good that people perceive a page to be erroneous or lacking information. Or they may just make sense of the "out-of-band" language.

How do you intend to pick the fallback if there's neither a user-default nor a system-default langauge? Will it just be the random first item of some list?

Collapse
19: Re: named objects (response to 18)
Posted by Timo Hentschel on
As I already said I would opt for showing at least something if we can't get a decent translation. How about showing the object in the language the object creator used when creating the object? That would add a date field to the table acs_named_objects (object_id, locale, object_name, creation_date); If we would cache the translations for each object we could sort them by creation_date thus displaying the first translation when no translation is available in the users or the default locale.