Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: organize openacs.org!

Collapse
2: Re: organize openacs.org! (response to 1)
Posted by Roberto Mello on
Andrew,

You are absolutely correct. I have sudo on the openacs box. Here are the list of people with sudo access:

- Arjun, Don, ts (dunno who that is), Yon, Josh (dunno also), E Lorenzo, Ben Adida, Dan Wickstrom, Jeff Davis, Janine, Lars, Peter M, and myself.

Arjun and Yon probably should be removed from that list for the time being. I think Erick Lorenzo worked for OpenForce as well, so he might need to be taken off for now as well. And we need to find out who "ts" is.

Some things have changed since the box was moved, but here's my understanding of how the box is setup:

It's a Dell running Red Hat with kernel 2.4.3 (needs to be upgraded). When it was under techsquare supervision, the machine was not being actively updated. I noticed that we had lots of outdated packages with published vulnerabilities. I contacted techsquare but not much was done that I could see.

About 6 months or so ago (maybe a year?) I manually downloaded a bunch of RPM packages and upgraded a bunch o' stuff. I don't think the box has been updated since. During my upgrade I broke CVS for a few hours (RPM changed all the config files without warning. Thanks RPM.)

A few months ago or so I moved all AOLserver instances on the machine to be under supervise.

Supervise used to be under /var/netsaint/bin along with other djb utilities. That directory no longer exists. It seems it has been replaced with the djb-blessed /command.

It seems netsaint is not being started on boot. The symlink from /etc/init.d/ is dead:

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root    root          25 Jan 31  2002 S91netsaint -> /etc/rc.d/init.d/netsaint

I'm not fully versed on the djb utilities yet, so I don't know how svscanboot is supposed to be started and who is supposed to start it. I think there's some script that you can run off of init to start it and it'll handle the services under it.

We have PostgreSQL 7.1 and 7.2.3 running. 7.1 is there solely for dotlrn.org I think. We should get rid of that and upgrade to 7.2.4. Both are running out of /usr/local/pgsql and /usr/local/pgsql-7.2.3 respectively. Both are started on boot via init scripts.

PG 7.2 is analyzed hourly via a /etc/cron.hourly script I setup from another script. Databases are backed up to /var/DB_BACKUPS via /etc/cron.daily scripts setup by techsquare.

CVS is backed up to /var/CVSROOT_BACKUPS.

Besides all the things you've mentioned (all of which I agree with), I think it's imperative that we hook up the box under the red hat network foo so it is kept up-to-date. I notice that rhnsd is running, so I don't know if that's been taken care of by flurfly already (thanks for the work flurfly!)

-Roberto