Forum OpenACS Development: Macking a Package Internationalized

Hi,
  I want to make my package as internationalized that is i want to convert my packaged tuned according to the language chosen by the user. This change should effect the matter and including the controlls caption should also change automatically that is the entire page has to get translated from any language to the user selected language automatically including the captions provided for the controls.

For Ex:
      If site is there in english then if the user selected Duetch English then the entire site of that session should change to German language including the caption on controlls that is the label on command buttons and etc.
  Plz help me out how to achive this activity.

With Regards

Venu Madhav Deevi.

Collapse
Posted by Peter Marklund on
Visit your package in the package manager at /acs-admin/apm and click on the Internationalization link (I18N). From there you can choose to transform your adp pages to using a message catalog instead of hard coded strings. That process is semi-automatic.

Let me know about your questions after you have carefully read the instructions there.

The use-case you are describing is fully supported by OpenACS on cvs head and in the upcoming 5.0 release.

Collapse
Posted by VenuMadhav Deevi on
Hi Peter Marklund,

I visited the site /acs-admin/apm but i could not able to find out Internationalization link at all. plz help as this is an important thing to our website.

With Regards

Venu Madhav Deevi

Collapse
Posted by Neophytos Demetriou on
Peter, I wrote a proc that is called within the request processor and looks into the headers of the user's browser (much like what Google does) and adapts the language for that session accordingly. There are provisions in the proc that it is ignored if the user's preferences cookie has set the language preference into something else.

Last time I checked i18n would check for the package or sitewide parameter that is fixed from the admin. If you think it is interesting I could post it here when I'm back. Furthermore, a parameter could be added so that the administrator could set the policy for her site, i.e. fixed default language or default language from the headers of the browser.

Collapse
Neophytos,
yes, I believe we are still missing the ability to set locale from the browser preference and I think we could use your proc. Please submit it to the Bug Tracker.

Venu,
after you visit /acs-admin/apm you should select "All" packages in the top filter. Once you have that, select your package in the listing. You should now be on the page displaying information about your package and there is an Internationalization link there.

Collapse
Venu,
it just occured to me that you also need to check that you are on cvs head. The 4.6.x releases don't contain Internationalization support. You need to check out OpenACS from cvs instead.