Forum OpenACS Q&A: Foundations in Europe

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Following up a discussion we had in Copenhagen, what the legalities are to setup foundations in Europe vs. the US, we did some research to that matter for a couple of countries in Europe. The results can be found at https://openacs.org/storage/download/Foundation%20Lega?version_id=98666.

What we should think about first though is what the foundations work would be, how it would benefit the community, what is it's main activity...

Hopefully we can start a discussion around this issue here in the community. Some ideas I have:

- The foundation could be the copyright holder of the OpenACS sourcecode. In case of (patent) conflicts and the like, the foundation would be the legal entity to fight, not the contributors of the code.
- The foundation could sponsor events around OpenACS, help to organize booth at conferences, coordinate the training efforts, prepare collaborative marketing material.
- The funding would come from the stakeholders in the community, in one way or another (time, money, in kind).
- The foundation would be the holder of the OpenACS.org domain as well as the computer running the system.

Collapse
2: Re: Foundations in Europe (response to 1)
Posted by Torben Brosten on
My browser doesn't recognize the filetype. What should I try to open it with?
Collapse
3: Re: Foundations in Europe (response to 1)
Posted by Ben Koot on
Hi Torben,
It opend in Word on my system

Good luck
Ben

Collapse
4: Re: Foundations in Europe (response to 1)
Thanks, Ben. Guess that means I'll be taking the MS Desktop system out of the the shame corner for a bit.  ;)
Collapse
5: Re: Foundations in Europe (response to 1)
Posted by Don Baccus on
Looks OK in OpenOffice on Linux, too ...
Collapse
6: Re: Foundations in Europe (response to 2)
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
OpenOffice and Office X on Mac like it as well. Sorry, maybe I should have just converted it to PDF. Will do so next time.
Collapse
7: Re: Foundations in Europe (response to 1)
OpenOffice works here, too. I presumed that the doc conversion wouldn't handle it, since I'm still on OpenOffice 0.9x [SuSe hasn't released an 8.x for ppc. --I'll be switching to Debian within a few weeks--can hardly wait to use Mozilla 1.3 instead of rev 0.9.4!]

Time to roll the MS system back into the corner now. =)

Thanks, Don and Malte.