Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: Installation still broken

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Make sure you don't have a partially installed database around. Check the error log for a previous error to this one. Usually you will find it failed somehwere before this, pointing to the actual problem.

Make sure its referencing the correct version of postgresql. If you have two versions in the system, its likely that it is using the wrong psql binary. Set the path to the one you want in the startup nsd-postgres shell script if necessary.

Make sure if you have two different versions of postgresql that psql is connecting to the correct port for the version you want to use.Some versions of psql will connect to a different version of the postgres backend and you won't realize it. Its most likely a misconfiguration in the environment that nsd is running in when it tries to exec psql to load the datamodel.

Collapse
Posted by Ben Koot on
At last we managed to get things back into working order. One thing however remains a mystery from a a newbie point of view. One would expect a new release to offer an upgraded toolkit. In the OACS world a new release seems to result into no active modules. I don't understand why this is called OACS 5.3.1 final if there is no functionality to download. All I now have is dotlrn, forum and lars blogger. Why don't you ship logger. project manager, photodb, fileshare and all the other stable modules ?

Thanks
Ben

Collapse
Posted by Gustaf Neumann on
Ben Koot wrote: "At last we managed to get things back into working order. "

I and maybe some more users of the forum are quite curious, what the source of the strange problem was. How did you fix this problem? This might be helpful in situations somebody else runs into the same situation.

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
" Why don't you ship logger. project manager, photodb, fileshare and all the other stable modules ?"

Because there is no maintainer who is saying that the package works in OpenACS 5.3.1. We want to make sure to ship only modules which we know are working.

Additionally, with the many changes with regards to design, project manager does not work on 5.3.1 as it needs some cleanup. I never heard of photodb (or do you mean photo-album) or fileshare for that matter.

Collapse
Posted by Aernout Schmidt on
I am one of those other users Gustaf mentions. Ben?