Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Error on upgrade to 5.3.2

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
I know for a fact that upgrade from the repository was tested (actually it's more common to have upgrade from the tarball not tested).

Yet again another change to dotlrn messing with non-dotlrn code.
This is getting to be a broken record.

We've been doing our best to put an end to this, but as Dave mentions above, while changes to make HTML generated by the toolkit validate, and also meet accessibility standards, were driven in the short-term by the needs of the .LRN community, it's something that needs doing for the toolkit at large.

In particular, the accessibility standards will have the force of law in the EU before long, and here in the US there are ADA implications, too. So it's important.

And certainly no one's going to argue that generated valid HTML is a bad thing, right?

And I might add that moving more and more look-and-feel stuff to CSS, to make customization easier, has been a goal now for some years. We've put it off over and over again because we've known there'd be short-term pain once we start taking big steps in that direction. Finally we've decided to bite the bullet and move forward. We're trying to make it as easy as possible.

Collapse
Posted by Jon Griffin on
Well there actually was a possible tagging bug, but that isn't important. I believe DaveB fixed it.

As for theme-zen, I don't have an issue with it except that it was for dot-lrn and not really released with OACS compatibility at this point.

I certainly want easier theming (wordpress, and most of the other LAMP projects kick our asses in this regard). It just seems that zen could have been incorporated in the core just as easily as dot-lrn only. After all, dot-lrn is built on top of OACS.