Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: RFC: Evaluation System for .LRN

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
This looks like a good step into the right direction. You might want to coordinate though with the .LRN Assessment team, as the assessment system shall include most, if not all of your functionality. It would be sad if we, yet again, develop multiple systems to do the same task.

If you are not sure what I'm talking about, take a look at https://openacs.org/projects/openacs/packages/assessment/ (and especially the last part at https://openacs.org/projects/openacs/packages/assessment/rfc/).  An assignment can be seen as a question of type "file".

In any case, you should use grade_id in your evaluation (instead of grade, if you are using grade table). Add a locale to the grade table, to allow multiple grading scales, if this is wanted. But I better stop here, just read the specs ;).

How quickly do you need to start on this, as we already have a couple of interested parties in the whole assessment/grading/assignment area. Sadly the sponsors so far had different priorities, but it would give the opportunity to pool the money (as well as developers/experience) and get the packages working right and beat commercial systems at it.

Collapse
Posted by Rocael Hernández Rizzardini on
Yes, sure, we would like to coordinate with any the effort going on. Our deadline is tight and we want to have it finished for testing by the time stated by jopez, anyway extending this module to use a grading service should be more less easy, and will be good if the evaluation & assessment effort can be shared and coordinated.

The actual design is for evaluating and grading projects, assignments, tests or any other category that the professor might want to use, no matter if the assignment is uploaded or its a test done in the classroom, a project done by a group, etc.

The grade_id could be used if a service is provided for grading, and I think that service can also handle internally what kind of grading scale is used by that grade_id. (in Guatemala is usual the 1-100 scale)

I don't find any spec for such grading service? (just Scoring/Grading paragraphs)