Forum OpenACS Q&A: Glossary Package

Collapse
Posted by Caroline Meeks on
Hi,

Has anyone used the glossary package?

It is currently dependent on acs-workflow which is depricated. I am wondering how much work it would be to remove that dependancy and whether it would be worth it.

I have a fairly simple requirement to fufill. The client want to have pop-up definitions for certain words.  I figured I'd manage the definitions in glossary then create a new ADP tag they could use to create the link (maybe <glossary word="mission-statement">). I'm curious is anyone has worked with glossary and thinks this is a good approach.

I also propose that the current glossary package should be moved to contrib because it has a dependancy on a depricated package.

Collapse
2: Re: Glossary Package (response to 1)
Posted by Walter Smith on
Caroline, I'm wondering if you investigated this any more and came up with any answers?

I'd like to use Glossary, but I don't want to install extra stuff, especially deprecated packages.  Did you determine the feasibility of removing the dependency on acs-workflow?

Collapse
3: Re: Glossary Package (response to 1)
Posted by Deds Castillo on
Walter,

I removed some dependency stuff just to make it work for project needs.  If you'll give me another twenty four hours, I'll remove it all and give you a basic glossary.  That cool or do you need it right away?

Collapse
4: Re: Glossary Package (response to 1)
Deds,

That would be great!  I'm not in a huge rush for it, and I would greatly appreciate your making the extra effort to get me your cleaned up version.  Thanks!

Collapse
5: Re: Glossary Package (response to 1)
Posted by Ben Koot on
Hi folks,

Hmm, these dependencies got me thinking. I have tried unsuccessfuly to make the glossary module to store information longer than 24 hours. Maybe these dependencies caused the problem, as I never used workflow.

It would be great to have working glossary. I look forward to the upgrade.

cheers
Ben

Collapse
6: Re: Glossary Package (response to 1)
Posted by Deds Castillo on
Ben,

I just sent it to Walter with the following snippet of email. I'm forwarding package to Caroline so that it can be uploaded into contrib.  Note that I think this can't co-exist with old glossary at its current state.

-----------
Walter,

Attached here is the cleaned up glossary package.  I removed the dependency for the workflow and also made it very basic.  This is postgres only.

In reality this package should be dropped and replaced with "BCMS" + "BCMS Glossary UI".  I needed it quick for one project so we went with a quick hack to this.

If you will use this extensively, then maybe we can work together into bringing a BCMS Glossary UI into fruiton instead.  But if you need it for quick use, then this would probably suffice.

I also removed the ability to relate illustrations to the glossary items as we didn't really see the need for that to this project.  This can stil be done by uploading an image and referencing that in the description of the term via "img src" tag.
-----------

Collapse
7: Re: Glossary Package (response to 1)
Thanks Deds.  That's great. I haven't taken a look at it yet, but for right now something basic is all I need.

I would be interested in working together to build the BCMS Glossary UI functionality.  I'm hoping that my client will want to grow their glossary into something more sophisticated, and thus fund my involvement.  Let's keep in touch on it.