Forum OpenACS Q&A: WebDAV and Usability Testing

Collapse
Posted by Bruce Spear on
We in the .LRN UAB have been rather quiet these past few months while awaiting the release of 2.1 and some space and direction so we might make ourselves useful. Some of us now think now is the time and WebDAV is the topic. Building on the work of others, Sloan has made some progress, and Al Essa has invited us to start looking at the current version more closely from the users point-of-view and to see what we might do to involve others in the community in a usability study. I'm wondering how we might best proceed, and that means I'm hoping some of the many people who've looked into the feature and worked on it might help bring those of use new to it up-to-date. I would think the first question is: what is the state of the feature's development, and as we will start playing with it, how might we best go about forming intelligent and helpful commentaries? It might be that we on the UAB might start collating what I understand to be the limited documentation, explore the working model and write up what we see, and see if we might solicit enough comments on it so that a consensus might be made public here on where we're at, what we might need yet to do, and at what point we can say we've gone far enough to release the thing. I will be grateful for any and all contributions: I'm eager to hear all about it and see it proudly moved out the door!

All the best,

Bruce

Here's a collection of forum links, for your convenience.

Forum OpenACS Q&A: WebDAV howto?

Forum OpenACS Q&A: WebDAV support for file-storage demo available.

Forum OpenACS Q&A: WebDAV - Windows error while OpenACS permissions setup

Forum OpenACS Q&A: WebDAV

Forum OpenACS Improvement Proposals (TIPs): TIP#39 (Implemented) Add webDAV support for content repository items

Forum OpenACS Development: WebDAV Support package added to OpenACS

Forum OpenACS Q&A: webDAV

Forum OpenACS Development: WebDAV Implementation for OpenACS

Collapse
Posted by Andrew Grumet on
Hi Bruce!

<blockquote>what is the state of the feature's development, and as we
will start playing with it, how might we best go about
forming intelligent and helpful commentaries?
</blockquote>

Regarding the state of feature development, I can't speak to the universe of people involved, but for my part I've spent about a week now working with Sloan on the user side and coordinating with Dave Bauer on the development side .  Sloan's getting ready to deploy this on SloanSpace.

When Sloan started looking at this on the OACS 5.1/.LRN 2.1 branch, we found it to be in pretty good shape from the mechanics POV.  The basic drag-and-drop file transfers are working as expected.  Once the user has set up a "network place" corresponding to a file-storage folder, they may drag files and folders into a Windows Explorer or Mac Finder window.  The dragged files/folders are uploaded into OACS/.LRN at which point they will also appear in the Web browser view.  Dragging in a new version of a file will create a new revision in file-storage, verifiable by looking at the "properties" view of the file.

Files may be launched from a WebDav view.  If the application associated with a particular file supports WebDav, something magical happens.  For example, if I double-click SomeFile.doc from the WebDav view on Windows XP and I have Microsoft Word installed on my machine, the file will open in Microsoft Word.  If I edit the file and hit Ctrl-S to save it, assuming I have sufficient rights, the file will be saved back to OpenACS as a new revision.

This won't work for every file type.  For example, plaintext files (.txt extension) do not open in Notepad, but rather in the Web browser.  Presumably Notepad doesn't support WebDav.

Other operations that are supported in the WebDav view: renaming folders and files, deleting folders and files.

Sloan recently added the ability to restrict to SSL, to prevent sending passwords in the clear.  This is committed to OpenACS CVS on the 5.1 branch.  This has been tested and works with Windows XP.  Unfortunately, Mac OSX Finder doesn't yet support WebDAV+SSL out of the box, so institutions needing Mac support will either have to jump through some hoops or live with sending their passwords in the clear.

Our efforts now are focussed on how to expose this feature to users in as friendly and unconfusing a way as possible.  Should we ask users to set up a network place for every folder, or try to offer them a "master network place" from which they can navigate to all their folders using standard file browsing, e.g. Windows Explorer and Mac Finder?  Is there a way to bypass the Network Place wizard and go right to a WebDav view from a hyperlink?  What wording should we use to describe the WebDav feature, "drag and drop"?  Where on the page is the best place to link to the feature, and what exactly should we link to?

Collapse
Posted by Bruce Spear on
Thanks for the kind reply, Andrew!

OK, here's my first impression of WebDAV: I couldn't imagine it. I could follow the instructions, but I made lots of mistakes because I wasn't sure of what I was doing. Maybe I don't work enough on a network to know this intuitively. Maybe my writing a brief tutorial might help us analyze the user's problem. Let me see how I might conceive of it and ask others if this makes sense.

WebDAV is a nifty tool that allows you to drag and drop files from the Dotlrn server to the Windows desktop on your own PC, and back again, much as you likely already do with Windows Explorer. If you like to organize your files by creating new folders and dragging and dropping files and folders, you'll like WebDAV: it works just like Windows Explorer, and it has been designed to look and feel like just one more folder on your network.

To use this tool, you have first to establish a connection to each storage folder on the Dotlrn server that interests you. Since you may want to do this often, we've made it as simple as clicking a bookmark in your browser: clicking this bookmark will cause Windows to open up an Explorer window on your desktop as if the file storage on the Dotlrn server were just one more network resource at your disposal -- which, of course, it will soon become. From there, you have only to drag and drop files and folders from this Explorer window to your desktop or Windows Explorer showing your file system and back again.

Creating this link is basically the same as creating a shortcut to a file. Move your cursor to the icon below, right click ...

Here's a screenshot I made to illustrate.

Collapse
Posted by Jeroen van Dongen on
FWIIW:
We're using file-storage with webdav for day to day filestorage and find ourselves not using the native Windows webfolders as they still have some issues.

Instead we use webdrive, a commercial webdav-explorer extension for windows. See http://www.webdrive.com. There is an evaluation version available. Using webdrive you can use the webdav folder as a fully functional network folder. You can barely tell the difference between a smb-share or a webdav -share. SMB feels a bit snappier, but in terms of actual performance there's not much difference.

Rgds,
Jeroen

Collapse
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
Does webdav support automatic retrieval of new files? Can a user figure out somehow that there are new versions or files?
Collapse
Posted by Andrew Grumet on
Hi Nima,

From what I've seen, no.  You have to go to the Web to see multiple versions.

Collapse
Posted by Matthias Melcher on
We discussed some aspects of WebDAV usage in the UAB,
http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~x28/uab/sov2.htm
and are looking forward to comments.
Collapse
Posted by emillio e on
Hi,

Take a look at NetDrive, it's a FREE dav client for windows, provided by Novell, has most if not all the features of webdrive. Go here http://support.novell.com/servlet/filedownload/uns/pub/ndrv41862.exe/ to download. Cheers

emillio