Forum .LRN Q&A: 4 columns layout in new portal

Collapse
Posted by Michael Cordova on
I'm working on a "icons" portlet theme, that makes a simpler user interface for new users. There are more clics, of course, but the user experience is better for those users who came from other eLearning systems, for instance BlackBoard. We need icons for that... I'm currently using our own ones.

I have created a 4 columns layout inside our theme (theme-zen based) that makes possible to have 4 icons in a row. In order to have these 4 columns layout working I needed to add simple4.{adp,tcl} files to new-portal package, in order to see the Portal Customize page working well. NOTE: It also makes possible to have 4 portlets side by side, but it doesn't really make sense due to screen size.

I want to develop a "fast way" to switch between different layouts in one clic, for instance, from 2 columns to 3 columns, or whatever.

And finally, I was asking yesterday in IRC about upgrading the new-portal package with upgrade scripts in order to add the simple4 layout in the DB. The idea is to upgrade in HEAD from current 2.5.0d1 to 2.5.0d2 and add this also in create sql files

Collapse
Posted by Emmanuelle Raffenne on
Hi Miguel,

I don't understand what the point is in having 4 icons in a row, don't quite understand either where they would be displayed in a portal without affecting the portlets layout.

Could you point us to a mockup or something?

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Stuff like this needs to be discussed in Honchos before being committed.

Please attend next week's meeting and please prepare a better definition of what you're doing. Using portal layout for icon layout? I'm not sure this makes any sense.

Collapse
<h2>Context</h2>

I'm in some kind of project and I've been asked for one simple but important requirement: simplify the UI thinking about teachers and students.

<h2>The points</h2>

One point of my work is grouping services by similar kind, and make that group clickable, probably with an associated icon. And, why not, maybe use this grouping as a course navigation map. For instance...

• Course materials should wrap:
    • texts
    • links
    • pdf
    • other files to download
  • Communication should have:
    • forum
    • chat
    • mail
  • News will be about
    • News
    • recent changes
    • blog...

I'm writing here because I think it could be interesting for all the community and I'm wondering the best way to do it and contribute it.

Another point is replacing portlets with icons on a first level of navigation. At least, it should be something customizable. I don't want to get rid of portlets. I just want to offer another look and feel. I have attached a PDF with images: https://openacs.org/storage/view/lrn/usability//dotlrn-4columns-layout.pdf

And the last issue of my work is related with course administration and portal configure pages. But this item is big enough to have another thread on this forum, and its own .LRN meeting. I just wanted to notice about that.

<h2>Conclusion</h2>

I think .LRN should be more user-centric. What I mean is that all .LRN pages are more focused on show what services are available through portlets and admin portlets (system point of view) than showing a user what he can do from his own point of view (inside a LMS). In my opinion, there is a lack on usability: the current UI is too hard.

NOTE: I can't usually be present at .LRN meetings, so I'd like someone to take these points there.

Thanks.

Collapse
As decided in yesterday .LRN meeting, I've revoked the commit of simple4.{adp,tcl} files. I'm Sorry for committing that before an approval. I just want to point that, adding a 4 columns layout does not force anybody to use it.

So, I don't need now the upgrade scripts to add the tcl code to new-portal to use this layout. I'll keep this code locally.

I'm sorry yesterday was not discussed about the "fast way" to switch between current layouts (1, 2 or 3 columns) without the need of empty a page. That's part of the improvement I want to do to the "configure" page (customize a portal). Maybe it needs a new thread :)