Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: 4 columns layout in new portal

Collapse
Posted by Michael Cordova on
<h2>Context</h2>

I'm in some kind of project and I've been asked for one simple but important requirement: simplify the UI thinking about teachers and students.

<h2>The points</h2>

One point of my work is grouping services by similar kind, and make that group clickable, probably with an associated icon. And, why not, maybe use this grouping as a course navigation map. For instance...

• Course materials should wrap:
    • texts
    • links
    • pdf
    • other files to download
  • Communication should have:
    • forum
    • chat
    • mail
  • News will be about
    • News
    • recent changes
    • blog...

I'm writing here because I think it could be interesting for all the community and I'm wondering the best way to do it and contribute it.

Another point is replacing portlets with icons on a first level of navigation. At least, it should be something customizable. I don't want to get rid of portlets. I just want to offer another look and feel. I have attached a PDF with images: https://openacs.org/storage/view/lrn/usability//dotlrn-4columns-layout.pdf

And the last issue of my work is related with course administration and portal configure pages. But this item is big enough to have another thread on this forum, and its own .LRN meeting. I just wanted to notice about that.

<h2>Conclusion</h2>

I think .LRN should be more user-centric. What I mean is that all .LRN pages are more focused on show what services are available through portlets and admin portlets (system point of view) than showing a user what he can do from his own point of view (inside a LMS). In my opinion, there is a lack on usability: the current UI is too hard.

NOTE: I can't usually be present at .LRN meetings, so I'd like someone to take these points there.

Thanks.