I need to know when .LRN should send email. Right now
if a user is added to a community, it _could_ send an email and admin for the community has created a welcome email message.
This needs to be more predictable.
Places where it sends email now
1) dotlrn/www/admin/add-instructor-3.tcl Should adding an instructor trigger a welcome email?
2) dotlrn/www/admin/users-add-to-community.tcl Adding users to a class or community. I think welcome email makes sense here. Should it be automatic, or configured per community? The current system sends a generic email from this page plus sends the community specific welcome message if it is configured.
3) member-add-3.tcl Sends welcome email if configured.
4) Bulk adding one or more users, sends welcome email if configured.
5) register.tcl Self registration, sends welcome email if configured.
These are the web user interface scripts that currently trigger the welcome email. I am refactoring the code to explicitly call th send email procedure when email should be sent instead of magically sending it when membership is approved. Confirmation from actual dotlrn admins that these events should trigger the welcome email would be useful.
In addition to refactoring I am adding a check, to allow the admin to decide to suppress the email or edit the email content before sending it.