Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: .LRN Discussion When to Send Email!

Collapse
Posted by Emmanuelle Raffenne on
I understand "Welcome message" as something like "Welcome to community A...", and generic message as "You have been added to community B...". So I think Welcome message is appropriate when the user has self-register or requested membership and received approval. On the other hand, the generic one (that could be edited) is more appropriate when the user has been added by an dotlrn_admin (receiving a welcome message could confuse her since she didn't request membership). However, since welcome message is configured by club/class admins, it's up to them to adjust its content to the enrollment policy.

1) dotlrn/www/admin/add-instructor-3.tcl Should adding an instructor trigger a welcome email?

IMO, yes. The instructor should be informed that he has been added to a class. I would let the dotlrn_admin edit the message however.

2) dotlrn/www/admin/users-add-to-community.tcl Adding users to a class or community. I think welcome email makes sense here. Should it be automatic, or configured per community? The current system sends a generic email from this page plus sends the community specific welcome message if it is configured.

I wouldn't send the community specific welcome message, just the generic one but providing a confirmation step where the dotlrn_admin can decide to send or not the message and edit it.

3) member-add-3.tcl Sends welcome email if configured.

OK.

4) Bulk adding one or more users, sends welcome email if configured.

When bulk adding users and adding them to a community, 3 messages can be sent:
1- welcome message to dotlrn with login information (if the "notify" field in the CSV file is set to 't')
2- generic message "you have been added..."
3- community specific welcome message if configured

I think only 1) and 2) are necessary.

5) register.tcl Self registration, sends welcome email if configured.

OK.