Forum OpenACS Development: Setting client property to turn of WYSIWYG widgets

I am writing some Selenium tests and unfortunately it does not with with Xinha rich text areas. I suspect tclwebtest has a similar problem.

I created a page that sets a client property to suppress rich text areas. The automated test can request this page and set the client property.

I then added code to check for this client property in the richtext widget procedure. It seems to work and is simple.

Does this sound like a good general solution?

Collapse
Posted by Gustaf Neumann on
dave,

why do you think, that tclwebtest has a problem with richtext? Tclwebtest is a client like a google bot, and it sees just a good old-style textarea form field. from my experience, there is no need to do anything special for tclwebtest.

selenium is another story. i wonder, how well this works with other javascript based widgets. Certainly, there is a large range of things, which might go wrong in these cases.

Currently, there is little chance to have a single testing tool, library testing, tclwebtest and selenium, they all have the strengths and weaknesses... a good proxy-based testing environment would be great, since this handles xmlhttp requests as well. a few years ago, we had a student working on this, the results are not production quality....

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Gustaf,

Thanks for explaining how tclwebtest works, I should have figured out that out since it is actually submitting the forms and not manipulating the DOM inside the browser that it would not have a problem with the textarea.

It looks like it is time for me to migrate some of my tests. Thanks!