Forum OpenACS Q&A: how does acs-mail work?

Collapse
Posted by Kevin Murphy on
acs_mail_nt__post_request doesn't seem to be working for me.

The only documentation I've found is at https://openacs.org/doc/acs-mail/openacs-mail.html.  (BTW IMHO the modules documentation should really be part of the OpenACS Developer's Guide)

My messages seem to be queuing up, judging by acs_mail_queue_messages, but they aren't being sent.  I see no errors in the aolserver error log.

I'm using OACS 4.5, and my code resembles this:

db_exec_plsql sendmail {select acs_mail_nt__post_request(:user_id, :user_id, 'f', :subject, :final_body, 0);}

ns_sendmail works fine.

Thanks,
Kevin Murphy

Collapse
Posted by Vinod Kurup on
acs_mail_nt__post_request places the message in the queue (acs_mail_queue_outgoing) and then the TCL scheduled proc acs_mail_process_queue runs throught the queue and sends the messages. The scheduled proc runs every 15 min (IIRC) by default and you should see lines in the log like:
[03/Dec/2002:20:26:22][25880.4014090][-sched:9-] Notice: Running scheduled proc acs_mail_process_queue...
[03/Dec/2002:20:26:22][25880.4014090][-sched:9-] Notice: acs-mail-queue: cleaning up
[03/Dec/2002:20:26:22][25880.4014090][-sched:9-] Notice: acs-mail-queue: done cleaning up
[03/Dec/2002:20:26:22][25880.4014090][-sched:9-] Notice: Done running scheduled proc acs_mail_process_queue.
If you're not seeing those Notices, then try restarting the server. There are other problems with acs-mail though, so if you only need to send out simple (not multipart) messages, acs-mail-lite is a better choice.
Collapse
Posted by Kevin Murphy on
Vinod,

Thanks for the reply.  I see acs-mail-queue notices in the aolserver log, but no /error/i messages.  Who should I send the log to?  Temporarily I am using ns_sendmail for my purposes ....

I will check out acs-mail-lite.

Thanks,
Kevin Murphy

Collapse
Posted by Ben Koot on
Hi folks,
Not a solution, but maybe this reference is appropiate at this point.

Cheers
Ben

Collapse
Posted by Vinod Kurup on
Hi Ben, I think that's the same link i posted in my post.
Collapse
Posted by Ben Koot on
Vinod you are right Seems I ned to read more carefully 😉
Cheers
Ben