Forum .LRN Q&A: weblogs in dotlrn?

Collapse
Posted by Rafael Calvo on
Hi,
How do weblogs work in the dotlrn personal portals? I am running dotlrn-1-0, on openacs-4-6/PG, clicked in "create a weblog" in the control panel and get the error below.
I am not sure if this is a bug, or if I need to install a new package, the code seems to use forums. Is this correct Caroline, anyone?
What is the difference with Lars Blogger?
Database operation "0or1row" failed (exception NSDB, "Query was not a statement returning rows.")
    while executing
"ns_pg_bind 0or1row nsdb0 {

select forums_forum__new(:forum_id,'forums_forum',:name,:charter,:presentation_type,:posting_policy,:package_id,NULL,:cre..."
    ("uplevel" body line 1)
    invoked from within
"uplevel $ulevel [list ns_pg_bind $type $db $sql"
    invoked from within
"db_exec 0or1row $db $full_statement_name $sql"
    invoked from within
"if {[regexp -nocase -- {^\s*select} $test_sql match]} {
            db_qd_log QDDebug "PLPGSQL: bypassed anon function"
            set selection [db_..."
    ("uplevel" body line 6)
    invoked from within
"uplevel 1 $code_block "
    invoked from within
"db_with_handle db {
        # plsql calls that are simple selects bypass the plpgsql 
        # mechanism for creating anonymous functions (OpenACS - ..."
    (procedure "db_exec_plsql" line 13)
    invoked from within
"db_exec_plsql create_object "
    BEGIN
      :1 := ${package_name}.new([plsql_utility::generate_attribute_parameter_call  -prepend ":"  -indent [expr..."
    (procedure "package_instantiate_object" line 106)
    invoked from within
"package_instantiate_object -extra_vars $extra_vars forums_forum"
    (procedure "forum::new" line 8)
    invoked from within
"forum::new -name $name  -charter $charter  -presentation_type $presentation_type  -posting_policy $posting_policy  -package_id $weblog_package_id  "
    invoked from within
"set forum_id [forum::new -name $name  -charter $charter  -presentation_type $presentation_type  -posting_policy $posting_policy  -package_id $weblog_p..."
    ("uplevel" body line 2)
    invoked from within

Collapse
2: Re: weblogs in dotlrn? (response to 1)
Posted by Robert Locke on
I think this relates to this post by Caroline:

https://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=70060

Collapse
3: Re: weblogs in dotlrn? (response to 1)
Posted by Peter Marklund on
Rafael,
I reproduced this problem on dotlrn-1-0 from last night (server is here: http://dotlrn.collaboraid.net/test) and the problem seems to be that /dotlrn/forums is not mounted in dotlrn-init.tcl.

I'm trying to access the Sloan sources and asking other people for help. I'll let you know when it's fixed.

/Peter

Collapse
4: Re: weblogs in dotlrn? (response to 1)
Posted by Alfred Essa on
Peter, we will make Sloan CVS available. I am checking with our folks on making this happen.
Collapse
5: Re: weblogs in dotlrn? (response to 1)
Posted by Carl Robert Blesius on

As far as I know the "Weblog" code in Sloan is just a modified forum instance for use case testing purposes.

Here are a couple other things I found that got merged that shouldn't have:

Collapse
6: Re: weblogs in dotlrn? (response to 5)
Posted by Venkatesh Goteti on
WIth regards to the things that got merged as mentioned, am I right in assuming that 'the ability to change themes using the UI has been changed', is refering to the link which I as a user hand on my control panel to select a theme with a radio button and execute the change on the specific portal? If so, has this been done due to technical/performance issues or just as Sloan didn't need it? If the latter, is it easy to take the code that allowed a user to make these changes to his/her portal and implement it?

Currently I only see an option to make these changes by selecting a theme under admin>portal theme. The other way, users can not just make changes to their workspaces, but also to clubs and commnities they administer right? A platform I am looking at can greatly benefit from this flexibility if its implementation is easy and possible.

Collapse
7: Re: weblogs in dotlrn? (response to 6)
Posted by Venkatesh Goteti on
Ah, alongside I also wanted to enquire if Weblogs can be easily added for dotLRN users now? How difficult might it be to have a situation where, users are allowed to chose from a set of themes for their personal workspace, and that particular user has his blogger wrapped within some some essential 'style' based on this theme? This way, not only can users select a theme we provide for them for their 'private-space' but the same look and feel flows into their 'pubic-space'
Is this a major thing of could some minor tweaking work here?
Collapse
8: Re: weblogs in dotlrn? (response to 1)
Posted by Raad Al-Rawi on
Hi All

Just having a browse when I remembered I had to take out the Weblog options from forum-edit.tcl and forum-new.tcl in packages/forums/www/admin.
Otherwise people trying to create weblog type forums will get an error.

There are some other references to the "weblog" view, but these are the only ones that "break" the system (I think!).

Venkatesh - I believe the ability to change "theme" on the portals was hidden in SloanSpace (to keep tight control over the appearance). I'm not sure which is the case (probably the latter), but either the theme form code is commented out in portal::configure or the call to portal::configure in packages/dotlrn/www/configure.tcl has

-allow_theme_change_p 0

which turns off theme selection for user portals.

Hope that's of some use!

Raad

Collapse
9: Re: weblogs in dotlrn? (response to 7)
Posted by Carl Robert Blesius on
Venkatesh,

You have probably seen this already, but just in case you have not take a look at the new packages Simon contributed: https://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=109267

That should answer to your question about adding Weblogs to .LRN