Forum OpenACS Q&A: Help linking nsoracle2-6 on OS X 10.2 for Oracle 9i

OS X'ers,

I am trying to compile nsoracle2-6 on OS X 10.2.3, and I need some help.    Has anybody already done this?

Here is where I am:  I installed Oracle 9i server and OCI clients successfully.  I installed TCL 8.4.1 and AOLServer 3.5.1 from source with no errors (although the TCL install required me to rename the source tree to just "tcl" to get it to work).

The nsoracle Makefile didn't work out of the box; I shed all Oracle lib references except libclntsh.dylib, and I had to add an explicit -lnsd.

Now I'm getting illegal symbol references, as follows:

cc -bundle -o ora8.so ora8.o -L/Users/oracle/9iR2/orahome/lib -lclntsh -L/usr/local/aolserver/lib -lnsd

ld: ora9.o illegal reference to symbol: _Tcl_SetResult defined in indirectly referenced dynamic library /Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Versions/8.4/Tcl

ld: ora9.o illegal reference to symbol: _ns_free defined in indirectly referenced dynamic library /usr/local/aolserver/lib/libnsthread.dylib

I will keep working on it.

Thanks very much,
Kevin Murphy

Collapse
Posted by Kevin Murphy on
OK, so I was premature.  The immediate problems were solved by adding "-lnsthread -framework Tcl" to the link step.

-Kevin

Collapse
Posted by Kevin Murphy on
Woohoo!  I have the nsoracle2-6 driver working now with Aolserver 3.5.1 on OS X 10.2.3 against the dev version of Oracle 9i on the same machine.  I don't have openacs on this machine yet, so I am modifying the nsoracle test tcl files to not be dependent on openacs, which is as should be, anyway.

BTW, if you had access to a free Oracle license and had a web database with a couple dozen tables and a few GB of data which don't change very often, would you pick Oracle or PG?

-Kevin