Forum OpenACS Development: Status of Internationalisation ?

Collapse
Posted by Christian Eva on
Hello

I need to work now with high priority on a international Website. I made a first prototype in english only based on 4.5 last october. Now we need to progress very quickly but with parallel content in French, German and Danish as well.

Downloading the new 4.6 release did not give me any modules for internationalisation. So I downloaded from the HEAD and found OACS-Localisation Utils included.

As I can see, there are a few packages with some translations available (Danish). I have tested File-Storage with the Danish locale and it seems to work fine.

My Questions now:
1) How can the individual user set his preferred locale?
2) How can I set it for him if he chooses a language icon say on the home page?
3) Is anybody out there working on any translations into German, French, Danish, UK english?
4) Is anybody working on the not yet translation enabled packages?
5) What is the status on templates for different languages?

I would highly appreciate a reply from those people who caould answer some of these questions. I could certainly help to translate some of the packages I need (like Forum, File-Storage, maybe ETP). How would I give the translations back to the CVS?

Many thanks
Christian Eva

Collapse
Posted by Rocael Hernández Rizzardini on
Hi Christian,
I would suggest you to install dotLRN so you can see how it works, as long as I know every package that uses dotLRN is ready for internationalization, you will find the "change locale" link that you are looking for.

The server effort for translating is at http://translate.dotlrn.collaboraid.net/

I have done i18n stuff with the survey module, Dave has now it, I don't know if anyone else have done something else with other packages.

Collapse
Posted by Christian Eva on
Hi Rocael

Thanks for your prompt answer! I checked out the translation server and it looks really good, so much more work has been done!

I looked briefly at www.dotlrn.org about installing .lrn. I will give it a try at the weekend as I am away tomorrow.It looks like that I can install the .lrn tree over my current  HEAD installation of oacs.

What's the status of the templates? Is there also a solution in dotLRN?

Thanks
Christian

Collapse
Posted by Rocael Hernández Rizzardini on
I think you should see how it works in dotLRN, as I said before all the packages that belongs to dotLRN are ready for i18n, that includes .tcl & .adp pages plus .tcl procedures, also the master template for dotlrn. So in this way you'll see how the templates works with i18n.
Collapse
Posted by Peter Marklund on
Hey Christian!
I'll try my best to answer your questions:

1, 2) The user sets locale at /acs-lang. You could of course add this setting to your master template (to appear on every page) or on the start page.

3) Yes we have many people working on translations. Especially the german translation will be done by professional translators for the Heidelberg University. Carl Blesius is in charge of that.

4) I think some people are, but I'm not sure. Note that all applications in dotLRN have been internationalized.

5) If you mean selecting different templates (different layouts etc.) for different languages we don't yet support that feature. It's something we considered but never got around to. It could be implemented fairly easily though I think.

Hope this helps!

/Peter