Forum OpenACS Q&A: Notification installed but unable to mount

4.6/linux/PG -- I installed notification and it doesn't appear in the pulldown or on the list when I try to mount it.

When I try to "mount" notifications, it's not on the list of things to be mounted -- it's not on the already mounted list either -- hmmmmm -- it's not on that page at all.

At the site map, I create a new subfolder and then click on "new application" -- I would expect notification to appear on the pulldown, however, it's not there. So I select "install new package" and it's not in the list to be installed. In fact, it says it is already installed, to wit:

Package "Note" (notes) version 0.11d or higher is already installed.
Package "Notifications" (notifications) version 0.3d or higher is already installed.

Still, no notification link is appearing on Lars-blogger or elsewhere.

Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
Eric,

Notificatoins should be automatically mounted at /notifications.

Although that shouldn't prevent you from mounting it again.

Did you restart your server after installation?

How recent is your oacs-4-6 checkout and server install?

Any errors in the error log during installation?

/Lars

Collapse
Posted by Luis Garcia on
Lars,
I'm sorry to tell you that I have had the same problem. I am working with 4.6/linux Suse 8.0/PostgreSQL.
I have to do it several time in the "site map" in order to get it to work. I have had to re-start the server every time it happens (which is pretty much every time I mount a new package). I don't mind doing it since I'm working locally and my server is not even on-line; but if this was a production server, I could not afford to be doing that every time. There must be a bug some where.
Luis
Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
Is it under "Unmounted Applications"?
Collapse
Posted by Eric Wolfram on
I downloaded and installed 4.6 on Feb. 20th. Notifications does not appear in the site map. It's not in "unmounted applications" and it's not in the list when I click on "mount" or "new application" -- although it does appear as "installed" when I try to install it.

When I got to either /notifications/ or /notifications/admin/ I get:

Not Found
The requested URL was not found on this server.

I did a complete reboot, which should have restarted the server...however, I'm wondering about some service that I have in /var/services/

What's making me wonder, and this may be related or entirely a different issue -- when a user goes to /pvt/home.adp there is this text:

If you want to check what other users of this service are shown, visit http://rhumba.gnosio.com/shared/community-member?user%5fid=2604

However, that link points to: http://mytlc.com/shared/com...

Well, the problem with that is that rhumba.gnosio.com is the name of the physical server, but my nsd.tcl file and DNS and the rest of the site appear at mytlc.com -- so I'm wondering where and why ACS is finding that rhumba name. I grep nsd.tcl for rhumba and get nothing...

I had a dream and woke up thinking I figured out how to fix it, but that was just a dream full of false hope. :-P

Collapse
Posted by Eric Wolfram on
I did another install of 4.6.1 and the notifications seams to have caused another issue on the new server. Applications that depend on notification being there -- forums, blog, ect -- they all give errors concerning notifications.

This was eventually resolved by restarting the server two times. I think that the issue may be with the order that the applications are installed. I really scewed things up on my last server by trying to uninstall (unmount and delete) notifications. I trashed my database but I learned a lot...

Eric,  I am also facing the same problem.  I found this problem after getting erros in the Forums.  After creating the Forums when i go for forum-view it gives error dump.  after a long search I suspect the notification module but not yet fixed.  Really one problem with the .LRN is the installation order.  I too got many problems in the installation.  I crashed the db 3 times and started installing ..  still not able to solve it.  I am ready to provide as much information as possible to correct the installation as well as mounting of notifications.. although I am starting the .LRN now only..

GVPathi