Forum OpenACS Q&A: Web-Based SMS Notifications Service Using OpenACS

I'm a university student and is doing a thesis on "Web-Based SMS Notifications Service Using OpenACS" but is very new to the OpenACS framework. If you could share some of your views and light with me on what my plan is, it would be very much appreciated.

Thesis Statement:
"The problem pursued in this thesis is to develop an efficient methodology (in the form of a service) to allow OpenACS application developers to easily integrate and embed SMS Notifications into their applications."

My plan is to incorporate SMS capabilities into the Notifications Package. Instead of relying on external gateways to send SMS, I will be using a GSM modem to send and receive SMS. Whether than writing the modem driver myself using TCL - it is much more managable if I use an Open Source SMS Server Tool Driver (http://www.isis.de/~s.frings/smstools/). This tool provides logging, black listing, various provider queues etc. This tool operates independently of OpenACS - all I need to do is to make a few modifications to the config file (e.g. modify their logging script to postgres instead of mySQL as provided). To send a SMS, all I need to do is create a file (in a given SMS format) and put it in a directory - the tool will look after the rest. All these have been tested by me and is working fine.

My current stage of the project is to try incorporate SMS service into the notifications package. This is where I have my difficulties. The Notifications Package is under documented - is difficult simply to use it - not to mention adding new capabilities to it. Just wondering whether anyone out there can give me a hand on how I go about using the notifications package to set up sms notifications? How should I go about structuring this? Do you think I should keep the SMS capabilities as separate as possible from the Notifications Package - i.e. just create a notifications type of SMS and then send by calling the SMS Package that I'm writing?

Once I can sort that out, within the SMS Package, I will provide a number of simple admin pages where the users can find out how many SMS notifications they have received, admin can add users to blacklist and it can use the info to generate bills and so on.

If all goes well, I'll provide simple step-by-step process for developers to incorporate the SMS Notifications Service to their applications. But I'll need quite a lot of help in using the notifications package.

Also, I've installed OpenACS 4.6.3 - not sure if the notifications package in there is the latest (i tried to install the package by itself and tried to use the admin pages - but doesn't seem to work) - do i need a newer version, if so, which one should i be getting?
Regards,

Jackson Chow

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Hi Jackson, please get in contact with Björn Kiesbye (mailto:bkiesbye@sussdorff-roy.com), as he has been developing the Jabber package and added notification support using Jabber for the notifications package. This is unreviewed code at the moment and will go into heavy testing on our side soon, but at least he can tell you how he did it. Actually, I might as well ask him to post here ;).
Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi Jackson,

Simon Millward did something very similar while his company (OpenMSG) was alive.  But I guess this code may have gone away with OpenMSG too.

Try to dig the forums.  Simon did say what his new company is in his last post.

https://openacs.org/shared/community-member?user_id=8237

https://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=105595

Collapse
Posted by Peter Harper on
Hi folks,

To clarify Jun's posting, we (OpenMSG) essentially built AolServer modules for:
- Queueing messages.
  - Multiple queues (multiple outbound/inbound)
  - Replication across an Aolserver cluster for failover.
    - This also implemented functionality where a clustered server could queue messages locally, but get serviced by a single server within the cluster. Useful if you have multiple servers but only one GSM modem, for instance.
- GSM Modem driver
  - Send and receieve functionality.
  - Multiple device support (i.e, supports more than one GSM modem at a time).  We've had up to eight hanging off the back of a PC.

And an OpenACS front end for:
- Managing the queues
- Assigning interface instances to process queues, starting/stopping queues etc.
- Some support for interfacing to existing Internet based SMS gateways.

We built quite a few applications that used this, but they were never fully integrated into the OpenACS.  The main reason for this was that we never had enough time to untangle the Notifications package 😉  Also, requiring the extra AolServer modules was always going to add additional complexity to the OpenACS installation.

I don't have access to the code right at this minute, but I'll have a dig around at some point over the next couple of weeks and can make it available somewhere if people want?

Cheers,

Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi Peter,

I will be personally interested with the code.  Please make it available.  It would be very useful.

Maybe it would be a good starting point for MMS :)

Collapse
Posted by Rafael Calvo on
Hi

I just posted somewhere else about the status for this:
https://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=134666

Could you please send some of your requirements.

Collapse
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
Jackson, I was wondering how far you got with your thesis.
Greetings,
Nima
Collapse
Posted by Ernie Ghiglione on
Nima,

Jackson presented his thesis in November last year. You can get the code and the whole description (including his thesis) here.

http://www.weg.ee.usyd.edu.au/projects/det_ug2003#Jackson_Chow

This package basically adds a new form delivery (SMS) to the notifications packaged (based on service contracts). We got an SMS model to test it and it worked really well 😊

I hope this helps.

Ernie

Collapse
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
Thank you Ernie...I will get back to your other email soon.
Collapse
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
Is this in the OpenACS cvs tree somewhere?