Forum OpenACS Q&A: new package: SMS server and notifications

Hi

Jackson Chow (one of my 4th year soft eng. students) has just finished an SMS package for OpenACS.
The package uses SMS Server tools that "The SMS Server Tools is a package of programs that are useful to send and receive short messages using a simple file-based interface and one or more GSM modems." (http://www.isis.de/~s.frings/smstools/).

Th new openacs package:
* User interface for sending SMS to one user or bulk SMS. Includes a an interface for the user to query the logs and see how many he has sent.
* An admin interface that has logs, send (bulk and single), blacklists/whitelist.
* A send method for SMS in the notifications package. The notifications have been added to the forums package as a demo.
* Documentation: Installation, instructions for incorporating notifications into other packages. An undergarduate project report that describes all this in detail.

Jackson has 10-20hrs available to add some more functionalities and we would appreciate if you could give use feedback ASAP.

Hopefully this package can become part of the standard distribution once it has been tested by others. The code will be available soon in my site. What do you want in there?

cheers

Collapse
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
Sounds good. Since we've gone feature-freeze on 5.0, I'm not going to be able to look at adding it to the docs for a few weeks. What would be helpful then would be some notes explaining in command-line detail how to set up any new programs on a red hat 8/9 or debian box. A good example would be the full text search install instructions. It doesn't have to be pretty or in DocBook XML, though that helps. Anything you can provide will get it into the distro that much faster.