Forum .LRN Q&A: running scorm-courses from exelearning in .LRN

Hi,

I would like to know if you have any experience with scorm-files created and exported with eXelearning (exelearning.org), which are running on .LRN?

I tried it but the course is not running well. After some failed attemps (navigation of the course is replaced by the own of .LRN, some API´s are not recongnized, etc.), I searched in different forums, but it seems that there are not experiences with this editor (exelearning is an oss editor and really good).

If you have experiences to run scorm-courses on .LRN, maybe could you tell me which did you use? thanks in advance

best regards

Carlos

Collapse
Posted by Emmanuelle Raffenne on
Hi Carlos,

At UNED we do use EXE to produce SCORM courses and can run them with no problem as long as we don't include SCORM features not supported by the player in .LRN.

See https://openacs.org/xowiki/Educational_Standards for compatibility info.

Collapse
Posted by carlos zarate on
Dear Emmanuelle,

thanks for your answer,
yes, we are also using exelearning. I uploaded some zip files with SCORM courses (without to use scorm-quiz) on our .LRN platform but they run not very well. e.g. always appears in a new window the navigation of .LRN (black backgroung) on the left and the content on the right side; or in other cases the graphic header (logo, etc.) does not appears, or the API is not "understood".
are you using the standard scorm-export of exelearning or?

have a hug and my thanks for your answer

Carlos

Collapse
Hi Carlos,

When entering a SCORM course on dotLRN, no extra window should be created, although the SCORM player (navigation on black background on the left and contents on the right frame) should be displayed in the current window.

What version of dotLRN are you using?

Collapse
Hi Emmanuelle,

thanks a lot for your response,

here my comments:
- we are using dotLRN 2.3.1.
- in our case, after clicking on the scorm-course, a new window is opening and the SCORM player is showing the content as you are writting (navigation on black background on the left and contents on the right frame)

-> what we want: to show the content in a new window and also the navigation delivered by eXelearning and not by the scorm player of dotLRN, it means not the navigation on the black background.

have a hug

Carlos
p.s. are you in Costa Rica?

Collapse
Hi Carlos,

- we are using dotLRN 2.3.1.

I don't have any 2.3.1 version to test with anymore, the latest version is 2.5.0.

-> what we want: to show the content in a new window and also the navigation
delivered by eXelearning and not by the scorm player of dotLRN, it means not
the navigation on the black background.

In the admin of the SCORM course, you can change the "presentation format" and set it to "Without LORSM index style". That will remove the index on black background on the left. Nevertheless, I'm not sure that option was available in version 2.3.1 or not, I don't remember.

p.s. are you in Costa Rica?

No, I'm in Spain. I wish I were in Costa Rica though, it's a beautiful country :).

Collapse
Hi Emmanuelle,

thanks a lot for your answers,

I will check this weekend the new version and try to check how is working with eXelearning, thanks.

the option "without LORSM index style" is also available in the "old" version, but it is not working well in our case.

Spain is also a beautiful country 😉 where are you in Spain? I am in Germany now, today sunny, despite the cloud from Island.

have a hug

Carlos

Collapse
Hi Carlos,

I will check this weekend the new version and try to check how is working
with eXelearning, thanks.

OK, let us know if you have any problem with it.

the option "without LORSM index style" is also available in the "old"
version, but it is not working well in our case.

yes, I kinda remember that it wasn't working as expected in that version.

Spain is also a beautiful country 😉 where are you in Spain?

Madrid

Collapse
Hi Emmanuelle,

I hope you are very fine, and with some fever regarding Spain and the world cup in Africa 😉

I would like to ask you if I could see how is working exelearning in your dotLRN, may this possible for you? I mean, what I want is to get an access to your dotLRN to see how well is working an learning module generated and scorm-exported by eXelearning.

have a hug and I hope, you could give me a pilot access to see it, thanks in advance

un abrazo

Carlos

Collapse
Posted by Kenneth Wyrick on
I finally got exelearning installed on my 64bit machine and I have a version of dotlrn that was installed by solutiongrove several years ago. Is there anyone who is still interested in testing files created by exelearning on my instance?

The elp files I've exported as SCORM and IMS have not worked well. They do not display and some won't even load.

If you are interested please let me know. I'd like to get to the point where I can instruct others how to use the exelearning to create UoLs to be used in the dotlrn.

Collapse
Hi Kenneth,

thanks for your message,

yes, I am interested in testing files created by eXelearning on your instance.

let me know which should I do to upload my elp-files,ok.?

have a hug

Carlos

Collapse
Hi Carlos,

I hope that you received account information via e-mail. I've had mixed success using IMS and SCORM created with eXeleanring. Please tell me which ones you use and whether they work in the LORS or other dotLRN package?

thank you very much.

We have create a new SCORM package (which uses a slightly modified version of the javascript SCORM2004 player from Illias) we are using at MGH that runs on OpenACS that we have not yet prepared for general distribution, but plan to.

I'd be happy to test any exported SCORM courses using this version. The more testing before general distribution the better.

Contact me via email to coordinate.

Collapse
Carl,

you should have received account information on http://caltek.net:8000 and i added you to one of the communities and gave you other privileges.

Hi Kenneth,

The SCORM player in dotLRN (lors+lorsm) does not support IMS-CP packages, only SCORM 1.2 ones (which uses its own flavor of IMS-CP).

Regarding eXe Learning, when exporting a course as a SCORM 1.2 package, it adds LOM metadata in a separated file that is referenced from the imsmanifest.xml one. There was a bug in lors and lorsm when parsing LOM metadata included in a separated file that would cause the import to fail.

I have fixed this bug in both packages (lors and lorsm) and committed to HEAD.

Collapse
Hi Emmanuelle,

I just exported a scorm 1.2 file from the eXelearning and the uploaded it in the LORS and the left navigation didn't show up, but now i think maybe because i only put one text item in the uol...

now i followed a link from the reload to the following.... I just watched the following presentation about lifelong learning <

TENCompetence Learning Design Services for Coppercore Service Integration Quick Start Distribution
This download is a modified version of the current CopperCore Runtime Environment (CCRT). It has been modified to include the updated SLeD player and the Widget Server. Since version 2.0.0 this download also includes the Astro player.

Beta Cross platform download

In order to use the bundled "Astro" application, you will need to use the linktool or sledadmin to create users and runs as you usually would. (See the "quick start guide for SLeD and the linktool" link below for information on how to create runs and users) Once you have done this you should point your web browser to http://localhost:8080/astro. You should then be prompted to login to Astro.

* A quick guide to using Astro. here * Screenshots of the chat widget in action between two users. here * Installation Instructions & quick start guide for Sled and the linktool. here * Authoring a Learning Design using widgets. here * Administration of the widget server. here

Thanks..for..information...