Forum .LRN Q&A: dotLRN gradebook

Collapse
Posted by Al Guyer on
I get the error below when trying to mount the evaluation app.

The apm says it is installed:
Package Name: Evaluation
Version: 2.0.2
OpenACS Core: No
Singleton: No
Auto-mount:
Status: This version of the package is installed and enabled.
Data Model: The data model for this version of this package has been loaded.
Database Support: oracle, postgresql
CVS: This package is not under CVS control.
Owner: Jose Pablo Escobedo Del Cid (mailto:jopez@galileo.edu)
Package Key: evaluation
Summary: This package allows the users (professors and students) to use the system to submit and grade the tasks.
Description: This package allows the professors and TAs to assign tasks to the students and to grade them, and to the students to upload their answers and see their grades.
Release Date: May 23, 2005
Vendor: -
Package URL: https://openacs.org/repository/apm/packages/evaluation
Version URL: https://openacs.org/repository/download/apm/evaluation-0.2.apm
Distribution File: None available (generate one now from the filesystem)

----------------------------------------
Listed Error:
----------------------------------------

We had a problem with your input:

Error Creating Package: The following error was generated when attempting to create the package

Database operation "0or1row" failed (exception NSDB, "Query was not a statement returning rows.")

ERROR: -20000: This items content type evaluation_grades is not registered to this folder 3158

SQL:

select content_item__new('evaluation_grades_3164','3158','3164',NULL,'2006-01-29 14:18:50.03441-08',NULL,'3148',NULL,'content_item','evaluation_grades',NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,'file')

Collapse
2: Re: dotLRN gradebook (response to 1)
Posted by Jose Pablo Escobedo Del Cid on
Hi,

I've just installed evauluation from sctrach (branch oacs-5-2) and it gave me no errors.

Could you tell me which branch are you using? (I'd suggest oacs-5-2)

Collapse
3: Re: dotLRN gradebook (response to 1)
Posted by Al Guyer on
I am using the tarball: dotlrn-2.1.3
https://openacs.org/projects/dotlrn/download/one-revision?revision_id=320323

It looks like it uses 5.1.5

This is what APM lists:

Key Name Ver.
----------------------------------------------------------
acs-admin Site-Wide Administration 5.1.5
acs-api-browser API Browser 5.1.5
acs-authentication Authentication 5.1.5
acs-automated-testing Automated Testing 5.1.5
acs-bootstrap-installer Bootstrap Installer 5.1.5
acs-content-repository Content Repository 5.1.5
acs-core-docs Documentation 5.1.5
acs-datetime Date and Time Utilities 4.2
acs-developer-support Developer Support 5.0d6
acs-events Events 0.4d3
acs-kernel Kernel 5.1.5
acs-lang Localization 5.1.5
acs-mail Mail 5.1.5
acs-mail-lite Mail Services Lite 0.7a
acs-messaging Messaging 5.1.5
acs-reference ACS Reference Data 5.1.5
acs-service-contract Service Contracts 5.1.5
acs-subsite Subsite 5.1.5
acs-tcl Tcl Library 5.1.5
acs-templating Templating 5.1.6d2

Is there another way to tell which branch I am using?

thank you for your assistance,

-al

Collapse
4: Re: Re: dotLRN gradebook (response to 3)
ok, I took a look at the tar file you said and it doesn't contain the evaluation packages, so maybe you downloaded it from the CVS?

Anyway, you can specify the branch when checking out the code from CVS like this:

cvs -z3 -d :pserver:mailto:anonymous@cvs.openacs.org:/cvsroot co -r oacs-5-2 evaluation evaluation-portlet dotlrn-evaluation

Regards,

jopez

Collapse
5: Re: dotLRN gradebook (response to 1)
Posted by Al Guyer on
I have the 5.2.2 tarball. after extracting it and pointing the acs-admin package loader to it:

http://localhost/acs-admin/apm/package-load-2?url=&file_path=%2Flocal%2Finstalls%2Funx%2Fdotlrn%2Fopenacs-5-2-2%2Fpackages&user_id=1359&return_url=%2Facs-admin%2Fapm%2Fpackage-load

I get the following error:

The directory specified, /local/installs/unx/dotlrn/openacs-5-2-2/packages, does not contain any APM files. Please try again.

So, I take it that is NOT the way to upgrade?

-al

Collapse
6: Re: dotLRN gradebook (response to 1)
Posted by Al Guyer on
heavy sigh. If the tarball, that is on the dotLRN site, that is (was?) the latest release, doesn't contain evaluation (grade book), which dotLRN tarball was I SUPPOSE to download?

That tarball was suppose (I thought) contain the latest of dotLRN, and openACS. Apparently the version of openACS is deprecated and the release of dotLRN is incomplete?

-al

Collapse
7: Re: dotLRN gradebook (response to 1)
Posted by Al Guyer on
Tried to load the apm:
https://openacs.org/repository/download/apm/evaluation-0.2.apm

with the package loader:
http://localhost/acs-admin/apm/package-load

It bombed with message:
Downloading https://openacs.org/repository/download/apm/evaluation-0.2.apm...The follow error occured during the uncompression process:

child process exited abnormally

Browsed to the url and get:
File not found.
Add a comment
where is the notification 5.1.7 package
it is needed for the forums package

https://openacs.org/repository/download/apm/notifications-5.1.7.apm

-- robert parker on 15 August 2005 05:06 AM (view details)

Collapse
8: Re: Re: dotLRN gradebook (response to 6)
The evaluation package is not part of the default packages of .LRN and that's why it doesn't come in the tarball

That's why I told you to check out the evaluation packages from the CVS. I haven't tried the apm package-loader and I don't know what could be the problem there, even though there's a bug and it has to be notified ;o)

Try checking out the evaluation packages fron the CVS and tell me if it works

Regards

Collapse
9: Re: dotLRN gradebook (response to 1)
Posted by Al Guyer on
oops... my bad. :)

I was hesitant to use the cvs. That was the first cvs checkout that worked from openacs.org. Anyway, all my lame excuses aside, it checked out successfully...

But... apparently I do not know how to install it correctly. You mentioned that the apm has a bug... So, is there another way to install packages? I tried just copying the check'd out directories to my local openacs website:
/var/www/oacs-test/packages/

The package manager said then that evaluation was installed but still bombed when I tried to mount it.

I tried to use the loader:
http://localhost/acs-admin/apm/package-load

but, no matter where I pointed it, it claimed that there were no valid apm files:

Accessing /var/www/oacs-test/my_cvs_repository/eval/evaluation...

The directory specified, /var/www/oacs-test/my_cvs_repository/eval/evaluation, does not contain any APM files. Please try again

please point me to a faq, or man page, or a how-to, or something...

Collapse
10: Re: Re: dotLRN gradebook (response to 9)
no worries, try this:

1. about the evaluation package problem, I guess what happened is that it got partially installed, so I think it's better to unistall it (unmount and uninstall and making sure it doesn't get listed in the mounted packages list) and then install it again using the http://localhost/acs-admin/install/ and choosing the install from local option (choose the evaluation applet from the services list). The problem here is that unistalling can be difficult if it doesn't work from the acs-admin/apm/ page, because you would have to do it manually... you can see the evaluation/tcl/*callback procs and the evauation-create and drop scripts to see what you need to delete

2. about the apm (package manager) problem, I'm sorry I can only tell you that the person in charge (according to https://openacs.org/projects/openacs/packages/) is Jeff Davis, and that you can post a bug in the bugtracker page (http://www.openacs.org/bugtracker/openacs/). There is also a documentation of the package manager here: http://www.openacs.org/doc/openacs-5-2/apm-requirements.html. Finally, you can allways try the IRC #openacs channel as well as posting in the developer's forum

that's all, I hope it helps

Collapse
11: Re: dotLRN gradebook (response to 1)
Posted by Al Guyer on
Jose,

Thank you for your patience, and your help. Since I am only in the testing phase, and if you read my sad saga of installing the wrong tarball, and using dated instructions:
http://www.openacs.org/forums/message-view?message%5fid=390093

I decided to re-install everything fresh. Oddly enough, using the correct tarball, and following the correct instructions I was able to install aolserver, openACS, and dotLRN! It seems to all be working well!

I used your instructions to cvs download evaluation:
cvs -z3 -d :pserver:mailto:anonymous@cvs.openacs.org:/cvsroot co -r oacs-5-2 evaluation evaluation-portlet dotlrn-evaluation

That also worked wonderfully, and now I have 3 new directories that contain your evaluation package.

Do I just copy those three directories to the site packages
directory? In my case:
/var/www/oacs/packages/

Thanks again for your help and patience!

-al

Collapse
12: Re: dotLRN gradebook (response to 1)
Posted by Al Guyer on
I did the following:
---------------------
1. stopped the server
2. copied the three directories to /var/www/oacs/packages
3. started the server
4. ran http://localhost/acs-admin/install/
5. sure enough, the "evaluation" package was there
6. approved the install
7. was greeted with server error:

can't read "package_id": no such variable
while executing
"list package_id $package_id "
(procedure "content::template::new" line 3)
invoked from within
"content::template::new -name evaluation-tasks-default -text "@text;noquote@" -is_live t"
invoked from within
"set template_id [content::template::new -name evaluation-tasks-default -text "@text;noquote@" -is_live t]"
("uplevel" body line 30)
invoked from within
"uplevel 1 $transaction_code "
(procedure "db_transaction" line 1)
invoked from within
"db_transaction {

# Create the impl and aliases for one assignment
set impl_id [create_one_assignment_impl]

# Create the notification type..."
(procedure "evaluation::apm::package_install" line 2)
invoked from within
"evaluation::apm::package_install "
("eval" body line 1)
invoked from within
"eval $command"
(procedure "apm_invoke_callback_proc" line 35)
invoked from within
"apm_invoke_callback_proc -version_id $version_id -type after-install"
(procedure "apm_package_install" line 135)
invoked from within
"apm_package_install -enable -package_path $package_path -load_data_model -data_model_files $data_model_files $spec_file"
("foreach" body line 52)
invoked from within
"foreach package_key $install {
ns_log Notice "Installing $package_key"

array unset version
array set version $repository($package_key..."
("uplevel" body line 49)
invoked from within
"uplevel {
ad_page_contract {
Install packages -- actual installation

@param install Tcl list of packages to install in the order in wh..."
(procedure "code::tcl::/var/www/oacs/packages/acs-admin/www/install/inst..." line 2)
invoked from within
"code::tcl::$__adp_stub"
invoked from within
"if { [file exists $__adp_stub.tcl] } {

# ensure that data source preparation procedure exists and is up-to-date
adp_init tcl $__adp_stub
..."
("uplevel" body line 3)
invoked from within
"uplevel {

if { [file exists $__adp_stub.tcl] } {

# ensure that data source preparation procedure exists and is up-to-date
adp_init t..."
(procedure "adp_prepare" line 2)
invoked from within
"adp_prepare "
(procedure "template::adp_parse" line 30)
invoked from within
"template::adp_parse [file root [ad_conn file]] {}"
(procedure "adp_parse_ad_conn_file" line 5)
invoked from within
"$handler"
("uplevel" body line 2)
invoked from within
"uplevel $code"
invoked from within
"ad_try {
$handler
} ad_script_abort val {
# do nothing
}"
invoked from within
"rp_serve_concrete_file [ad_conn file]"
(procedure "rp_serve_abstract_file" line 60)
invoked from within
"rp_serve_abstract_file "$root/$path""
("uplevel" body line 2)
invoked from within
"uplevel $code"
invoked from within
"ad_try {
rp_serve_abstract_file "$root/$path"
set tcl_url2file([ad_conn url]) [ad_conn file]
set tcl_url2path_info..."

Collapse
13: Re: dotLRN gradebook (response to 1)
Posted by Al Guyer on
I also got this error:
HTTP/1.0 500 Internal Server Error Expires: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 21:24:42 GMT Pragma: no-cache Cache-Control: no-cache Server: AOLserver/4.0 MIME-Version: 1.0 Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 21:24:56 GMT Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8 Content-Length: 9150 Connection: close

I think that means I did not install ns_cache correctly?

-al

Collapse
14: Re: dotLRN gradebook (response to 1)
Posted by Al Guyer on
I was finally able to install evaluation, dotlrn-evaluation, evaluation-portlet. I believe what fixed the install was using the apm and deleting the package, twice.

Then, http://localhost/acs-admin/install saw the package(s) to be installed and did so with an error. Yah!

But, when I went to mount the evaluation, same old error:

Error Creating Package: The following error was generated when attempting to create the package

Database operation "0or1row" failed (exception NSDB, "Query was not a statement returning rows.")

ERROR: -20000: This items content type evaluation_grades is not registered to this folder 2316

SQL:

select content_item__new('evaluation_grades_2322','2316','2322',NULL,'2006-02-01 14:53:07.299007-08',NULL,'2306',NULL,'content_item','evaluation_grades',NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,'file')

Error.log says:

[01/Feb/2006:14:47:54][11038.114696][-conn:oacs::4] Error: Ns_PgExec: result status: 7 message: ERROR: -20000: This items content type evaluation_grades is not registered to this folder 2297

[01/Feb/2006:14:47:54][11038.114696][-conn:oacs::4] Error: Aborting transaction due to error:

ERROR: -20000: This items content type evaluation_grades is not registered to this folder 2297

SQL:

select content_item__new('evaluation_grades_2303','2297','2303',NULL,'2006-02-01 14:47:53.996821-08',NULL,'2287',NULL,'content_item','evaluation_grades',NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,'file')

[01/Feb/2006:14:47:54][11038.114696][-conn:oacs::4] Warning: propagating abortion from /var/www/oacs/packages/acs-subsite/www/admin/site-map/package-new.tcl (status 200): 'Problem with Your Input')
[01/Feb/2006:14:49:29][11038.147466][-sched:15-] Notice: acs-mail-lite: about to load qmail queue
[01/Feb/2006:14:49:29][11038.147466][-sched:15-] Notice: queue dir = /new/*, no messages
[01/Feb/2006:14:51:29][11038.196620][-sched:15-] Notice: acs-mail-lite: about to load qmail queue
[01/Feb/2006:14:51:29][11038.196620][-sched:15-] Notice: queue dir = /new/*, no messages
[01/Feb/2006:14:53:07][11038.49156][-conn:oacs::0] Notice: apm_invoke_callback_proc: invoking callback after-instantiate with command evaluation::apm::package_instantiate -package_id 2306
[01/Feb/2006:14:53:07][11038.49156][-conn:oacs::0] Error: Ns_PgExec: result status: 7 message: ERROR: -20000: This items content type evaluation_grades is not registered to this folder 2316

[01/Feb/2006:14:53:07][11038.49156][-conn:oacs::0] Error: Aborting transaction due to error:

ERROR: -20000: This items content type evaluation_grades is not registered to this folder 2316

SQL:

select content_item__new('evaluation_grades_2322','2316','2322',NULL,'2006-02-01 14:53:07.299007-08',NULL,'2306',NULL,'content_item','evaluation_grades',NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,'file')

[01/Feb/2006:14:53:07][11038.49156][-conn:oacs::0] Warning: propagating abortion from /var/www/oacs/packages/acs-subsite/www/admin/site-map/package-new.tcl (status 200): 'Problem with Your Input')
[01/Feb/2006:14:53:29][11038.147466][-sched:15-] Notice: acs-mail-lite: about to load qmail queue
[01/Feb/2006:14:53:29][11038.147466][-sched:15-] Notice: queue dir = /new/*, no messages

Help!

Collapse
15: Re: dotLRN gradebook (response to 1)
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Hi Al,

I'm not able to give you any advise on evaluation gradebook, just wanted to say that I'm grateful that you stick around and try to get this running despite the continuous pitfalls you stumbled into due to lack of decent documentation and other issues.

Hopefully the .LRN crew can learn from this experience and ammend the documentation a bit and at least delete outdated documentation.

THANK YOU!

Collapse
16: Re: dotLRN gradebook (response to 1)
Al,

First of all, I also want to thank you for patience and I'm sorry I gave you wrong solutions.

Anyway, I think I finally found the right one.

First, I tried downloading the tarball, then the evaluation packages and everything worked fine. But I wanted it to fail =) so I read the documentation and it has the link to the dotlrn2.1.1 and I did the test with the dotlrn2.2.0a1... so I downloaded it and I made it crash =) and these are the steps I followed to get it work fine:

1. Download the tarbal 2.1.1 (the same with 2.1.3)
2. go to the packages dir and download the evaluation packages via CVS (do it again, or at least update the code because I had to change the requirement in the evaluaiton.info file for the calendar package)
3. go to the packages/acs-content-repository/tcl and apply this patch: http://bach.gast.it.uc3m.es/~jopez/oacs/content-repository.patch (it's only one line...)
4. start the service and install .LRN
5. go to the acs-admin/apm page and install the evaluation applet (choose install from local and then the service type)
6. create a class (first the term, then the department, then the subject and finally the class)
7. add the evaluation applet from the class's control panel
8. voila! it should work

If you don't want to reinstall everything, just update the evauation code, apply the patch, uninstall the evaluation pagkage and continue with step 5, but since you already did it may be it's better to do it again and avoid other errors.

Please try it and tell me if it works, and if it doesn't, may be it's better if you contact me offline and when it works we can post the final solution.

kind regards,

jopez

Collapse
17: Re: dotLRN gradebook (response to 1)
Posted by Al Guyer on
Hello Jopez,

First off, thank you so very much for your help! My motivation is purely selfish. The goal is to wean the Windows users off of MS products, making my life, so-o-o very much easier!

Anyway, in step 3. you said, "3. go to the packages/acs-content-repository/tcl and apply this patch:
http://bach.gast.it.uc3m.es/~jopez/oacs/content-repository.patch";

Is that patch to be applied to:
content-template-procs.tcl

Thanks,

-al

Collapse
18: Re: Re: dotLRN gradebook (response to 17)
Don't worry, if it's for a good cause then I'm glad to help =)

And yes, the patch has to be appied to the content-template-procs.tcl file. It's a bug I fixed in the CVS but apparently the tarball hasn't the version I fixed of the acs-content-repository package, and because it's a tarball you can't just do a CVS update :-p

Good luck!

Collapse
19: Re: dotLRN gradebook (response to 1)
Posted by Al Guyer on
Well... it installed without any errors but does not show up in the add applets:
http://localhost/dotlrn/classes/dept_phs/math_test01/class02//applets

There were two other applets to add, though:
Applets To Add

* Group Members Info [ add ]
* dotLRN Staff List Info [ add ]

At http://localhost/acs-admin/install/
Evaluation 2.0.2 shows up as an application but not as a service?

I am pretty sure I installed it as a service...
also, I found this in error.log:

[02/Feb/2006:11:28:38][10387.65541][-conn:oacs::1] Error: Error sourcing /var/www/oacs/packages/evaluation/tcl/evaluation-callback-procs.tcl:
Invalid switch -callback passed to ad_proc
while executing
"ad_proc -callback merge::MergeShowUserInfo -impl evaluation {
-user_id:required
} {
Show the evaluation items of user_id
} {
set msg "Eval..."
(file "/var/www/oacs/packages/evaluation/tcl/evaluation-callback-procs.tcl" line 9)
invoked from within
"source $__file "

The saga continues... :)

Collapse
20: Re: Re: dotLRN gradebook (response to 19)
hmmm, that's weird... I did exactly what I listed above and it worked fine. I have it running here:

http://mendelson.gast.it.uc3m.es:9500/ (mailto:test@test.com / test)

are you using the dotlrn2.1.1 final tarball?

about the error, I get it too, but that's not important, since that has to do with the merge user and tracking functionallities.

Collapse
21: Re: dotLRN gradebook (response to 1)
Posted by Al Guyer on
actually... I am using the 2.1.3 tarball:
https://openacs.org/projects/dotlrn/download/download/dotlrn-2.1.3.tar.gz?revision_id=320323

md5sum:
f8616313b779cfad679b6a2d82b9a065

Your step 1. was:
"1. Download the tarbal 2.1.1 (the same with 2.1.3)"

I thought you meant 2.1.1, OR 2.1.3... my bad!

So, what generates the list:

Applets To Add

* Group Members Info [ add ]
* dotLRN Staff List Info [ add ]

I will give it a try with 2.1.1 final.

Thanks,

-al

Collapse
22: Re: Re: dotLRN gradebook (response to 21)
yes indeed, I meant that. I also tried with that tarball and I had no problems... did you reinstalled everything from scratch?