Forum OpenACS Q&A: Forums package for OACS 5.2

Collapse
Posted by robert parker on
Hi

I have recently installed 5.2 but I now need to install the Forums application. The URL http://myhost/acs-admin/install/install?package%5ftype=apm%5fapplication&repository%5furl=http%3a%2f%2fopenacs%2eorg%2frepository%2f5%2d2%2f
does not list the Forums application.

How do I go about requesting that the Forums package is made available for OACS 5.2 ?

thanks
Robert

Collapse
Posted by Mohammad Al-Ghazali on
What do you mean by does not list the Forum application. When I open the URL given, it just redirect me to www.myhost.com. Have you download the package yet, or are you trying to install it from the repository? If it's not in the repository, I advise you to download it through cvs and place it in your /package directory. You can use this command to download it from cvs. This is for the HEAD.

cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.openacs.org:/cvsroot checkout forums

You can see all the packages available through their cvs directory http://cvs.openacs.org/cvs/openacs-4/packages/#dirlist
Collapse
Posted by Michael Steigman on
Forums hadn't yet been tagged as compatible with 5.2 though we know that it is. I just tagged forums and attachments (a prerequisite) on oacs-5-2 with openacs-5-2-compat so it should show up in the repository tomorrow. If you can't wait, download from the 5.2 branch using '-r oacs-5-2'.
Collapse
Thanks, I'll try tomorrow as I'm not that familiar with driving CVS
Collapse
To use the cvs command mention by Michael is this one:

cvs -d :pserver:mailto:anonymous@cvs.openacs.org:/cvsroot checkout -r oacs-5-2 forums

This is used to checkout for forums package that fit with oacs 5-2. The command that I give out earlier is for HEAD which the latest version release for any packages.

Collapse
Thanks Michael, Forums and Attachments are available today but now I get two further errors :

* Forums 1.2.0d3 requires Attachments 0.5 (only Attachments 0.1 is listed)

* Attachments 0.1 requires File-Storage 4.6.2 (File-Storage is not listed as an available application or service, also maybe Attachments 0.5 needs a higher version of File-Storage ?)

Could someone do the necessary to make these items available for installation in OACS 5.2 ?

Collapse
* Forums 1.2.0d3 requires Attachments 0.5 (only Attachments 0.1 is listed)

I believe if you go for the HEAD,you can find Attachments 0.9 already in the list. I think that it would not be a problem if you go for a higher version

* Attachments 0.1 requires File-Storage 4.6.2 (File-Storage is not listed as an available application or service, also maybe Attachments 0.5 needs a higher version of File-Storage ?)

I think that File-Storage have been made an available application for a very long time. You can always look for its version through the cvs directory.
Collapse
Attachments is fine on 5.2. The version number is 0.10 (i.e., point ten, not point one). I tagged file storage and oacs-dav as well today so they should show up tomorrow. Looks like there has been some random hacking/bug fixing on file storage so it's tough to say whether it's in release shape but I guess we're going to find out, eh? :)
Collapse
Btw, Mohammed - according to our docs HEAD should *not* contain the latest package releases. Those reside on the current branch, i.e., oacs-5-2. There are a few exceptions to that rule (contacts, ams to name a couple) but for the most part, current releases are on oacs-5-2 and are tagged with openacs-5-2-compat.
Collapse
Thanks for the information Michael, my mistake to accept some information saying that without confirming it first. Thanks again.