Forum OpenACS Q&A: How to upgrade from 4.5 to 4.6?

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
Would someone mind giving me a brief rundown on how to upgrade?

Perhaps we should have this in a FAQ?

(I know, I know, who wants to write it?)

Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
I added this to the HUGE extra release notes that I'm crafting as I post this. Its temporary location (will be moved to openacs.org once I'm done) is http://www.brasileiro.net/roberto/artigos/new-changelog.html. Suggestions welcome (as long as they come in a form I can just cut-and-paste).

I'm still waiting for package owners to give me their changelogs (Andrew Piskorski already did, THANKS!). I'd be REALLY grateful if those changelogs came in a bulleted list like the one I'm using for the acs-core.

-Roberto

P.S.: This is taking a long time. I hope some people can appreciate this.

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
Thank you, Roberto!!! That looks great!
Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
Roberto,

This is so cool. I'm looking over the list, and I'm actually quite impressed with all the stuff that's happened since the last release. Yay! We rock! :)

(One small gripe:

"Lars Blogger:

A web log system contributed by Lars Pinds. Features RSS syndication, synchronization with weblogs.com, archival by dates."

The name is Pind, withous the "s". pind.com was taken. Though I actually did get pind.org :))

/Lars

Collapse
Lars,

I'm glad this is being appreciated, as it took several hours to get it done (the next release should be much faster since we (#openacs) found out that cvs2cl can output xml, and someone has written xslt transforms to html).

Yes, that was the biggest thing that hit me while crafting the changelog. A LOT of stuff was done. Kudos to the community!

Another thing that hit me is that several things that affect developers were changed (like the context bar thing, and discouraging of local masters) but we ended up not documenting those. I've been a lousy documentation guy.

Another thing one cran grab from the changelog is that this release should be called "Release 4.6 (The 'Jeff Davis' Release)" because of the great number of commits and things fixed by Jeff. Horray for him!

Re: "Pinds", sorry. I will fix that 😊

-Roberto

Collapse
Still on the new changelog issues, I'm adding all the new packages that made it into OpenACS. So far I have attachments, forums, notifications, lars-blogger, bug-tracker, survey, acs-mail-lite and bulkmail.

If I am missing any, please let me know very soon.

For bulkmail, there's no description in the .info file, and I can sort of grasp what it does, but I don't have the time to go wad through the code to find out.

Can anyone give me a short description of what it does, including features? (I'd like one for survey too. Dave?)

Thanks,

-Roberto

Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
Bookshelf is another package that's been added. PG only, though.
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
bugtracker is also PG-only ...

For the future, could folks writing a package for just one database make a bigger effort to find folks willing to port to the other before we integrate them into a release?

Doing a port's not that big a job typically though it's fairly thankless.  For many packages, though, I think we'll find that a call for volunteers will likely drag up at least one hacker who will want the package in their favorite DB rather than the implementor's favorite DB.

Collapse
Posted by Steve Manning on
I know your striving for perfection so just in case you didn't spot it theres a typo in ACS Mail Lite:-

'Contributed by OpenForce, wro wrote it for dotLRN (MIT)'

'wro' instead of 'who'. Did you put it in to see if anyone was reading your work 😊

Steve

Collapse
Lars,

Can you give me a short summary for bookshelf, including some of its features?

Funny thing is that I don't have bookshelf in my 4.6 checkout. Perhaps I missed some CVS flag, but I thought -Pd would do it.

-Roberto

Collapse
Steve,

No, it was a real typo 😊 Thanks for reporting it.

-Roberto

Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
Turns out bookshelf is only on HEAD, not on the branch. Fine with me, let's just keep it that way for now.

Documentation's here:

http://oacs-pg.cph01.collaboraid.net/doc/bookshelf/

We'll be porting bug-tracker to Oracle as part of our current engagement.

Any volunteers to port bookshelf to Oracle?

/Lars

Collapse
Posted by Mohan Pakkurti on
Roberto!!!

Thanks for the awesome job in compiling the list of changes...
Congratulations to the crew for such tremendous progress!

/Mohan

Collapse
Posted by Steve Manning on
Lars

I get 'You don't have permission to read ACS Core Documents.'
when I try to access the url for bookshelf docs.

Steve

Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
Steve,

Please try again.

Also, to see it in action, check out:

http://oacs-pg.cph01.collaboraid.net/bookshelf/

Just create an account if you want to try adding stuff.

It's decidedly not quite finished. I found several bugs right now, and I fixed a few of them.

As you can see I've been playing with UI elements from bug-tracker and blogger. Hopefully I'll get time to enhance both this and blogger some in the coming few months. Bug-tracker should see some improvements quite soon now, thanks to our current engagement.

/Lars

Collapse
Posted by Luigi Martini on
Just to take inspiration from the subject of this thread (How to upgrade from 4.5 to 4.6?) imagine that I tried for many months to properly install OACS 4.5, and could not succeed.
Now it is maybe time for me to try with 4.6 version. The big problem is: how can I start from scratch? What is the way to follow to clean up all the 4.5 installation?
In case I do not get an answer I feel forced to reformat the entire disk and reinstall linux.
Collapse
Posted by Tilmann Singer on
When you're running postgresql there shouldn't be a problem doing
$ createdb myoacs46
Checkout or unpack oacs-4-6 files in /web/myoacs46 or whereever you usually put your web projects, configure your existing aolserver installation to use the myoacs46 db and point its documentroot to /web/myoacs46, and from there on you should be able to install from scratch.

No need to reformat your linux hard drive, please don't blackmail us with such horrible threats 😉.

Collapse
Posted by Luigi Martini on
Tilmann,
what you write is true, but the whole thing is not so easy as you think, at least not for beginners.
In order to try and install OpenACS 4.5 I had to download lots of different things (AOLserver, Postgres, libxml2, damontools, and other strange names...), issue very many commands (see here) and hope all was right. Actually, although I struggled much, I could not succeed, so I insist now.

I am positively afraid that, in order to install 4.6, I will have to download new things (recent versions of programs, for instance) and issue many strange commands more: some (a lot) of which will most probably conflict with the existing situation.

>...whereever you usually put your web projects...

I never had the chance to put any web project anywhere: I'm a beginner.
Luigi
Collapse
Posted by Tilmann Singer on
I think the recommended list is:

openacs 4.6
aolserver 3.3+ad13
postgresql 7.2.x (any version that starts with 7.2)

If you have that already, re-use it. If not, upgrade your older versions. Post here if you run into any troubles.

Good luck.

Collapse
Posted by satya Narayana Reddy on
hello,
what is the difference between oracle 4.5i and oracle 6i?