Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Virtual urls in CR / File Storage

Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi Don,

Current heirarchy of getting the templates was more or less dictated by client.  Although I think its logical.  Here is the scenario.  User makes a new article, normally that article is in a section/folder.  That article normally should use the section/folder template, with out the user bother to explicitly set it.  We can either implement the scenario as how I have implemented it.  Or

- upon creation of article we use the same template for the section/folder to the article as the initial template.
- when user changes a section/folder template we need to change all items under it.  Some form of a trigger or something.

There is a problem with solution 2.  For example the user explicitly wants to use a particular template for an article.  If he/she changes the template for the section/folder, then we need to keep track which items where explicitly given a template.  If not then the user will have to go back to each item that had a different template, which was changed to the new section/folder template.

In the CMS I am working I would like to atleast have the following heirarchy.

content_item->parent_item->content_type->generic (note: still working on it)

Although I think a different situation may call for a different heirarchy, I guess it depends on the client needs.  One can always change the behaviour of BCDS (display) package or even maybe use another CR app to display.

I have seen some posts of you making FS to be a generic browser in CR.  It seems we are headed in the same direction.  Not exactly sure if we are duplicating efforts.  Anyway what are you thoughs about this?  I think I better HTMLized my overview doc and place it in the package docs as well.