Forum OpenACS Q&A: Downloading with the Download package

Hi,

I use the Download package with openacs 4.6.1 to offer texts (mainly PDFs) to our students. When you hit the "submit and download" button, the browser tries to load Acrobat Reader and open the file in the browser window, but it this seems it doesnt work in all cases. Some students have trouble with that.

Is it possible to change the download page so you can start a "normal" download ("save file as") instead?

Sorry, poor knowledge ...

Collapse
Posted by Rocael Hernández Rizzardini on
I think this is related on how your browser is configured, the easy way should be "right click & save as".
Collapse
Posted by Christof Spitz on
Rocael, thanks, but this doesnt work. Its the "Submit and download" from the input form that you klick, not the actual link to the file. See the download page here on openacs.org. When you view the html-source in your browser you'll know what I mean.

Maybe I'll play with the download page template and try to show the actual link to the file instead of the "submit" button.

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
If you need some code to compare it to, look at the file storage package. Just a suggestion, as I have no knowledge of the download package. 😊

You might also file a bug report.

Collapse
Posted by Jarkko Laine on
Just a sidenote... I noticed the problem with openacs.org download section too. Notably, I often do the download so that I right-click and copy the link and then paste+wget the file to the server (only in cases where I need the file on server, of course). This doesn't work when the download works through a form submit. Maybe I'm the only one who have noticed this, but if not, it could be worthwhile to think about different approaches to the download UI. I understand, of course, the need of a form in some cases, but I don't see it that important in the most situations.
Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
I've always grumbled about not being able to wget packages easily, and the fact that other people were too means we should probably file a bug report about it, and fix it if we have the time. I probably won't have any chance to get to this, especially since I don't use download in any of my projects.

Just a vote for the ability to wget files.