Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Parameter limits and the CR

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
If you have control of the system and if you have no plans to distribute the code so that compatibility with the standard PG 7.2.4 RPM isn't and issue, why not recompile PG 7.2.4 to allow 32 parameters rather than 16?  It's just a number in one of the global .h files.

PG 7.3.2 seems to work well, too, and in OpenACS 4.6.3 I think we've weeded out the last of the compatibility problems.  You can be sure we'll fix them quickly if you were to uncover any additional ones.  I've been running PG 7.3.2 for development of OpenACS 4.6.2 and 4.6.3 and haven't seen any PG problems (7.3.0 did have a couple of bad bugs.)

Anyway ... if at all possible I'd recommend you make life easy by either running PG 7.3.2 or by recompiling PG 7.2.4.

Also you can poach one parameter from news__news by getting rid of the creation_time parameter and using now() in the function body (assuming someone hasn't already done that in our standard sources.)  I wish we'd just done that in the first place when porting, there's no reason to allow for a creation time other than the time when it's created! :)

Use "timestamptz" rather than "timestamp" in any tables you define.  PG <= 7.2 defaults "timestamp" to "timestamptz" while PG >= 7.3 defaults "timestamp" to not carry tz info.  pg_dump does the right thing, but explicitly declaring "timestamptz" means the same datamodel source works equivalently in PG 7.2 and 7.3.