Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Can we convert openacs packages as RPM for REDHAT and SUSE

It seems to me that we're not really to the point where people use OpenACS "out of the box" without much customization. We're getting close to that point, and with edit-this-page and CMS maturing, I think we may get there in a year or two.

I think this is very much a goal to work towards, however. Adoption of OpenACS will balloon if we make the process easier than it is now.

Joel's doing good work in the meantime.

I think a good subgoal, however, would be to make installation of the components underneath OpenACS easier.

For Debian, for example, being able to apt-get install Aolserver, Postgres, and so on would make the process pretty easy. Joining that with CVS, and you could conceivably make an entire install in a half an hour or less. That would be nice, but it would require a lot of work from some dedicated volunteers.

I know Roberto has done some work on Debian packages. We'd need more testing of those Debian packages, and then a blessing of them in the official documentation.

Of course, all of this requires volunteers. 😊