Forum OpenACS Q&A: postgresql triggers

Collapse
Posted by David Bell on
Hi
I want to create a trigger in postgresql on insert into a table that calls the notification__new function to add a notification. However I need to pass the arguments from the insert to the notification__new function.
i.e. I want to have something like the followin
CREATE TRIGGER report_alert AFTER INSERT ON mytable FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE notification__new(myarguments);

where myarguments includes some values out of the original row.

Is there a way to do this?
I havent been able to find it in the postgresql docs.

Thanks alot

David

Collapse
2: Re: postgresql triggers (response to 1)
Posted by Matthew Geddert on
why are you trying to do this via a postgresql trigger as opposed to using a service contract via the tcl api (which notifications was designed to do)? Take a look at the way forums integrates with notifications - that is how it is "supposed" to be done. If you have a very compelling reason to do this via a trigger then you probably want ot use NEW.field1, NEW.field2 as placeholders in your proc to submit that info to notifications.... do a grep through packages like this for an example...
/web/service/packages/# grep -R "NEW." * | grep "/postgres"
Collapse
3: Re: postgresql triggers (response to 1)
Posted by David Bell on
Matthew,
      Thank you for your reply. I am still a novice or worse at OACS, the problem I have is that the records will be inserted into a table by an external application. I then want to send notifications of the records existance and control subscriptions to these notifications through OACS. Can I do this without triggers? I am still trying to fumble my way through using OACS.

Thanks again

David

Collapse
4: Re: postgresql triggers (response to 1)
if by external application you mean something that connects directly to the databasae without the use of aolserver then yes you probably want to do it via a trigger. if you mean via some other app it will probably be possible via plsql - still recommend looking at the way forums integrates with notifications - because this will tell you what needs to be done via plsql...
Collapse
5: Re: postgresql triggers (response to 1)
Posted by Andrei Popov on
I think you can use OLD.field_name and NEW.field_name in triggers in Postgres.  This is, however, for updates, not inserts.  NEW.filed_name maybe there for inserts as well, but I don't remember for sure.  Check the docs -- it is pretty well written section.
Collapse
6: Re: postgresql triggers (response to 1)
NEW.field_name is available for insert procs...