Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Res: Re: new functionality in forums HEAD

Collapse
Posted by David Arroyo Menéndez on

I've began to port this funcionality to oracle, such as you've done.

I had written this feature using views and I store if a message is visited when someone calls to row.tcl

I'm losting some information using views, because I can't know when the thread was viewed, but perhaps the worst problem is that when someone want to know if a thread is read, we must to do a count and it maybe not very fast if the thread is large. What do you think about it?

Collapse
Posted by Michael Totschnig on
I had a look at the views package and I think it is worth using it if it makes available a service we can use.

You say that you cannot know when the thread was viewed. But in the datamodel I see that there is a field last_viewed in table views, and also it is not that important when it was viewed, but if it was viewed.

I do not understand either why you say that you have to do a count to know if a thread is read. But it seems important to me to store the number of read threads per forum in a denormalized table, as my code does in table forums_reading_info_user.

I think that we could use the views package instead of table forums_reading_info, but still use table forums_reading_info_user (possibly with another name) for storing the count of read threads.