Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Comments on the new postal-address module (and kin)

Collapse
Posted by Jon Griffin on
Alfred,

You are free to do as you wish, but the point I was making with Cuba was the fact that this is a community system. Check out salsablanca.com and you will see that I have a Cuban record company and a Cuban group on tour right now. So, no my point isn't useless and as far as I am concerned, I really don't give the slightest bit of a damn about Greenpeace. They have zero relevance in my life and yes it is legal to do business with Cuba. In fact the only 2 countries that have an embargo against Cuba are the US and Israel. But I am not in for a political debate.

I have no problems with your address verification stuff, in fact I welcomed it. It just needs to be in another package.

The fact that you think my Amnesty International response to the Cuba non sequitur was actually anything related to Greenpeace is an indication you haven't been reading what I said in much depth - which is your right of course.

I don't really care about the address verification, which is what you and Matthew both seem to think I'm primarily suggesting. I even tried to spell out that doing address verification does NOT ensure valid addresses - the best you can do in a TCL proc or javascript is make sure it's "well formed" - just like an email address or a credit card number.

My two primary issues were
#1 - decouple addresses from people.
#2 - store appropriate information with the addresses - lat/lon, DMA, timezone, etc.

I appreciate your adventures in Cuba - I am working with a school in Ecuador to put up a dotLrn site. I think all the stuff we're talking about here is largely irrelevant to either of those cases. The corporate guys are the ones who like the marketroid stuff - this is a great sales tool in that market and it provides an additional revenue stream for the developer/hoster if they periodically ship the addresses out to be cleaned up.

I clearly got lost in the distinction between services and packages (is a service something that uses a service contract? or just something with no ADP pages?) Parties - the only references I found were from AD people in the party::permission_p -

"Wrapper for ad_permission to allow us to bypass having to specify the read privilege " sounds like a way to skirt the permission system?

and you said they are changing in 5.0? I also am a bit vague on the _rels mentioned in the thread here ..

I guess there are enough internals here that I'm not familiar with and can't find documentation on that I'll just shut up and see what comes out. It's likely that I'll just add the fields I want on your table and keep a private version.

Thanks for the lively dialog :)