Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Migrating OpenACS.org to a branch in the OpenACS repository

I have the feeling that the decision tends to the branch strategy: create a branch of openacs-4 in CVS, called openacs.org for example, and initially make it a copy of oacs-4-6 HEAD, trying to stay as similar as possible to oacs-4-6. This would make it very easy to merge bug fixes in both directions and have a decent live demonstration of the toolkit.

Now how to get there from the current suggestion as quickly as possible? I would suggest to simply create the branch in CVS, check it out to a testing instance, e.g. staging.openacs.org and fill the db of that instance with a copy of the production db. Then go through each area of the site manually and copy over necessary changes from the current openacs.org-dev code. The site isn't that big, and this way we are really only copying the stuff over we want and no old bugs.

Jeff - if you agree could you create the branch in CVS please?

Hm, that basically sounds like a good plan to me Tilmann. Only change I'd make is do not branch off openacs.org from the tip of the 4.6 branch, branch it from the tagged 4.6.3 release.