Forum OpenACS CMS: Re: Learning from what others do well

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
You might want to point Russell at ns_dav. http://www.museatech.net/nsdav

I didn't see that anyone completed the Zope tutorial but it was more of a infrastructure issue than Zope's fault.

I haven't seen any other comparisons. I'll find links to other notes on the conference and link to those.

One interesting session was on version control in RedHat CCM. Their solution was quite different from OpenACS, but I think after seeing the presentation, the current implementation works well. An optional feature to produce diffs of text might be interesting though, I have thought about it before myself.

Collapse
Posted by russ m on
david -

I've seen ns_dav, but have decided to start implementing something else for a few reasons. As far as I can tell, using non-filesystem providers for ns_dav in OACS requires writing a C provider that then calls back to TCL. I'm hoping that the CMS stuff musea are doing has as little as possible in ns_dav.so with the ability to plug in generic TCL providers but I haven't heard anything either way on that so I'm not assuming anything. My requirement is very simple - I need a read-only view of some data (stored outside the CR) that can be accessed by both PC and Mac clients as if it were on a fileserver.

Given I don't need any locking/revision control/proppatch or a whole host of other RFC 2518 stuff, I suspect I'll have something working to my limited needs before a full aolserver integration of mod_dav is complete...

Is there any documentation on writing additional providers for mod_dav floating around? AFAICT even the apache 2 mod_dav docs don't seem to cover that stuff...