Forum OpenACS Q&A: OpenFTS as searching on partial words

Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
I found this old discussion thread that says OpenFTS can't search on partial words:

http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=144823&forum_id=97445

But the reply is about 18 months old, so I figured I'd see if anyone here would know if things had changed since then?

/Lars

Collapse
Posted by Neophytos Demetriou on
Lars, the newest tsearch module supports boolean expressions search (if that's what you mean by partial words) but they are expensive w.r.t the default behavior. IMHO, stemmed and dashed words searching should be enough for most cases but I suppose that you have a specific use case where boolean expressions are necessary. I'm gonna be out of town for the weekend, but I'll get back to this as soon as I'm back.
Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
No, didn't mean boolean search. I meant seraching for "busi" would find "business", for example.

/Lars

Collapse
Yeap, that's what I meant. I was in rush while writing the message above.
Collapse
Ouch, reading this thread again. No, it seems that partial words searching works only in the traditional way, i.e. select * from yourtablename where title ~* 'play';

Lars, you may want to checkout http://openfts.sourceforge.net/tsearch/README.tsearch
for all features supported by tsearch (and thus openfts).

Collapse
Posted by Roger Williams on
Does OpenFTS handle stemming (i.e. run==runs==running==...)?

It is interesting (I found out recently) google does not!

TIA.

Regards..

Collapse
Posted by Roger Williams on
Also, is file-storage indexed by openFTS?

TIA.

Regards..

Collapse
Posted by James Bennin on
Also, is file mangager indexed by openFTS. And also which other packages are indexed by openFTS?

I am using OpenACS 4.6.3, on Red hat Linux., with PostgreSQL 7.2.

Thank you

Collapse
Posted by James Bennin on
It seems like you are the person whom I need to talk to since you have been involved with the search package development.  I am having some problems with the search package.  I am pretty sure I have installed OpenFTS and Search correctly.  Now I want to be able to search, or do a wide search on my site.  The major question I have is do I make an object searchable?  I have read a few series of documentations but they did not provide me with too much help.  I'd rather have a step-by-step process (similar to the OpenACS setup) to guide me through setting my objects and making them searchable.

Thank YOu