Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Group membership

Collapse
11: Re: Group membership (response to 1)
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Malte,

Sounds reasonable. I think just changing the object_type_two in membership_rel to party will allow you to try to see if the memberships are maintained correctly through your groups.

This is all maintained by triggers so you'd have to analyze the behavior of the triggers and test what actually happens.

Collapse
12: Re: Group membership (response to 11)
Posted by Tom Jackson on
Is anyone listening?

There is nothing wrong with the code, there is no bug. You simply do not understand how it works. I provided a few links to some code which clearly shows that one group can be a member of another group. You may need a new rel_type, but this is by design, not due to some oversite. I think I made a statement here or on another thread that you could spend a few weeks on this code to figure it out, then you would decide nothing needs changing. Ignorance of design is not a bug. At any rate, at some point you will have to understand a relational segment, and write a few pl statements to set things up. This is what customization is all about. That is why we have a package system, etc.

In case it hasn't sunk in yet: how do you expect a group to have the exact same relationship type to another group as a person would have? You can't, so you need a new type of relationship.