Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Permissions on categories

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
"I imagine you want custom package_id/type permission mappings, so that a user or group would have permission for certain types within an instance of file storage."

Yes. I thought about that. But then I figured: Too much hassle. If I go with categories, I could map a different category tree to the "other" file-storage instance and then give the permissions on those other categories as my assumption is that you will not have a situation where every file storage instance has the same file "types" and if it does, then the likelyhood that a different role of users has access to those file types is even more limited.

That is also one of the reasons why the idea of making object types objects was not so appealing because it kindoff "forced" the permissions on everything, whereas with categories you could turn it on and off and assign multiple categories (e.g. this file is a "Bill" but should also be readable by everyone who can read "Paychecks" as it is a provider bill and the HR department should be able to read it as well). But to be honest, I did not think about making the object_types objects for that purpose (though I thought about making object types objects a couple of times already 😊).