Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Getting Started with OpenACS for Dummies

Collapse
Posted by Sean Harrison on

I'm at a similar place as Brad Ford -- I'm looking at the "Congratulations" screen and wondering what to do next. I think I can help with the Dummies® guide by being the dummy and asking questions.

The most reasonable first step would be to set the Congratulations page aside under a different name, so that it is accessible to me (and not to others, if there's a quick-and-dirty way to change the permissions), and then to begin customizing the site index. However, my first attempt to do that resulted in lengthy Tcl/SQL errors. I tried:

1. copying all of the "index.[ext]" and "index-[db].xql" files to "firstpage[rest-of-the-name]".
  2. copying all of the "index" named files to a new subdirectory called "firstpage".

I guess the questions are, (1) what is the simplest procedure for creating a new page/subfolder, and making it browsable? (2) why didn't what I did work, and what would be the correct way to do it so that it would work?

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
First of all, I think you need to put your site under CVS if you haven't already.

Then, I recommend changing index.* to match your needs, rather than moving the file. You do need an index file. If you want, you can copy the index files to some other file name, but you should probably start working off of the index files, instead of moving them somewhere else.

There is a gap in the documentation here. But the index page does give you some ideas of where to go from startup. You can look at this page:

http://rubick.com/openacs/getting_started/

I'll need to get that page looking better, but it's somewhere to start.