Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Media package ideas

Collapse
9: Re: Media package ideas (response to 1)
Posted by Tom Jackson on

Thanks for the feedback.

Sorry for some of the naming of the tables, I was in the process of moving them to a separate package, and I didn't get everything updated.

When I started working on this I only thought about images and movies, so the name media seemed like it would work, but yesterday, after the datamodel had been sitting around since Sept. 8, I realized that that was kind misleading. A number of places I looked on the internet included pdf and word documents as media, but the point of the package is to attach things to other things. Attachments seemed better, and I didn't realize that there was already an Attachments package.

I need to be able to attach things to any database table row, and I need multiple 'anchor' points per row in many cases. However, the anchor points don't need to correspond to table columns, they can be arbitrarily named.

Although the media table includes a blob column, I have decided to remove that, as I noted. The storage of media objects (I guess 'attachments' is better) is not in the basic tables for the package. The storage could be in the CR, or in the filesystem.

The package must provide direct access to the attachments, images, for instance, need to be referenced in an img tag.

I'll look at the current Attachments package, but it sounds like it doesn't address all these requirements.