Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Proxy problems with log-in

Collapse
Posted by Brad Ford on

Sorry forgot the paragraph breaks...

I finally resolved all of my problems with self-hosting a server over my cable modem as outlined in this thread (I'll eventually document what's required and how to configure so Joel can add it to the docs). It seems that most people that try can log in/register on it - www.physworx.com if you want to try.

Here's the problem (and it affects my logging in on openacs.org as well):

My office is behind a firewall which uses a proxy server (and I suspect that is where the problem lies). When I try to log in at physworx on the index page(located at home, directly connected to internet with a static ip), I get the login page expired screen. If I click on the login link from there, I end up at the login screen. Logging in there sometimes logs me in( and takes me back to the index page where I'm shown as logged out, yet I have access as if I'm logged in) and sometimes just refreshes the page with no error messages - yet logs me in without showing so. So now I'm logged in (although it only shows me as logged in when not on the index page) and am unable to log out using the log-out link on pages where it's visible. Confused? So am I. Would the caching of the proxy server cause these problems? Has anyone else seen these issues?

BTW, I'm using MS IE6 and Mozilla Firebird and get the same problem on both (and have ie set to check for new versions of page on each visit).