Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Status of search for Oracle

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
I think the involvement is 50% knowing Oracle/InterMedia (whose name has or is changing again BTW) and 50% understanding the service contract since you have to map its requests to Oracle SQL.

I don't think there's any AOLserver knowledge involved.

It would be great to have this work done.  It's never floated to the top of anyone's priority list, that's the problem.

Collapse
Posted by Denis Roy on
Why hasn't anybody wanted this so far? Are there no OACS sites which run on Oracle and need search? Is it because everybody is quite happy with the sws package?

Sorry if I'm asking so many questions but I really wonder what the benefits are of developing an FtsEngineDriver for Oracle and whether the investment can be justified (especially when talking to a client).

I'd be more than happy to talk to our client and ask him to invest into search for Oracle but right now I simply don't have enough good arguments to feel comfortable about doing so. Perhaps anybody can help me out on this one.

Any good reason is appreciated including time, ease of maintenance, difficulty of setup (I once installed sws in the ACS 3.2 days and it was a pita), future upgradibility etc.