Forum OpenACS Development: Where to put global files?

Collapse
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
I'm updating the standard config.tcl to include

ns_param  NotFoundResponse    "/global/file-not-found.adp"
ns_param  ServerBusyResponse  "/global/busy.html"
ns_param  ServerInternalErrorResponse "/global/error.html"
ns_param  ForbiddenResponse    "/global/forbidden.html"
ns_param  UnauthorizedResponse "/global/unauthorized.html"

and I'm wondering where these files should live?  /www/global?  Just /www?  Elsewhere?

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
/www/global sounds better good to me.
Collapse
Posted by Tilmann Singer on
The last two, ForbiddenResponse and UnauthorizedResponse can never occur on an openacs installation, can they? I would guess that the request processor always spits out the custom 'security violation' messages, regardless what you have defined for these params.

If that's true then I think we shouldn't confuse the users by including them.

Any specific reason why you specify an .adp file for 404 and .html for the others? I remember Jeff Davis arguing strongly against templated 404 pages because they are possible resource killers, if some out of bound client (e.g. a worm) requests lots of non-existant pages within a short time, so I'd suggest to use a .html for 404 as well.

Collapse
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
On my site I use an adp for 404 so that I can get the site template and also bring up a random picture.  But I agree that it should default to html for the reasons above.
I'm leaning towards /www/global.  But don't we have form stylesheets in some other place?
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
They should be at "/www/global" as this is where the request processor will map "/global".