Forum OpenACS Q&A: Need hosting, quickly

Collapse
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
Hey everybody,

So I made a site which seems to be getting attention (including media attention), and I'd like to get it onto a real co-lo since right now it's running out of a closet over dsl.  I need shell access, dns, etc.  The transition I have in mind:

Send over a tarball (including PostGreSQL 7.2.4 dmp)
get it up and running at a new IP
replace the current site with a static version
send a new db dmp to the colo
switch IP addresses

Hosting needs: shell access, analog, monitoring, currently ~2000 page views an hour, which could drop to zero if the fad ends or skyrocket.  The site is currently dirt-simple, just using general-comments and core.

Email me if interested (mailto:joel@aufrecht.org)
Thanks,

Joel

Collapse
2: Re: Need hosting, quickly (response to 1)
Posted by Eric Wolfram on
Leasing a server is quick and inexpensive these days.

To pay for it, may I suggest google adsense?

https://www.google.com/adsense/

I put those ads on mytlc and earned $250 in 24 days off of 10,000 impressions. That's enough for a beeeeeeeeeefy machine at rackspace.com or servepath.com  -- if you go to servepath -- tell them I sent you for the "real deal" 😊

Eric Wolfram

Collapse
3: Re: Need hosting, quickly (response to 1)
Posted by Michael Bluett on
I'd just like to second Eric's mail that adsense can work.  Even though I am UK based, I make perhaps $180 per 10,000 impressions (the adverts are relatively in-your-face compared to what I used to have).  I'll have to pay a quite a lot to convert the dollar cheques to sterling though.  It does help that much of my content is on broadband, which is popular with advertisers.
Collapse
4: Re: Need hosting, quickly (response to 1)
Posted by Don Baccus on
Uhhh ... so what kind of T-shirt did you design *this* time? :)
Collapse
5: Re: Need hosting, quickly (response to 4)
Posted by Jarkko Laine on
Which reminds me... what happened to the Copenhagen T-shirt project?
Collapse
6: Re: Need hosting, quickly (response to 5)
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
What's the Copenhagen T-shirt project?
Collapse
7: Re: Need hosting, quickly (response to 1)
Posted by Jerry Asher on
The Copenhagen T Shirt suffered.

Some people said they could see it, but yet they could never find it in the same place.  Strangely, if they did hold onto it, it was always blurry.

Sizing was difficult.  Consumers could never figure out what the proper size was.  Is your size root(2)/2?

Distribution was difficult too.  Approximate half the distributions were imaginary.

Great, my shirt came, sized root(2)/2, and it's imaginary.

Total collapse followed.

Collapse
8: Re: Need hosting, quickly (response to 1)
Posted by Lachlan Myers on
Jerry ... thank you. A glimpse of the Copenhagen T shirt, under the Aurora Borealis ...