Forum OpenACS Q&A: How to start multiple instances of aolserver?

Hi all,

I know there are a bunch of past threads related to what is essentially virtual hosting. I've read through a good chunk of them. I want to set up a dev environment and a production environment on the same box - production serving pages on www.physworx.com port 80, dev serving pages on dev.physworx.com port 8000 (or should it be www.physworx.com port 8000?). I've been reading through the cvs documentation to better understand what we do during the cvs portion of the openACS install - helped me to figure out how to use the repository to create an additional openACS instance in /web (production is physworx, dev is physdev) by checking out from /cvsroot. I'll write out a doc on the 'least one needs to know' to work from a dev checkout and then, once tested, merge back to the repository and update the production instance.

So here's what I have - two checkouts of the openACS repository in /web: one called physworx, one called physdev - each having their own db as well. www.physworx.com serves up on port 80 no probs. I'm trying to figure out how to start a second instance of aolserver to serve on port 8000 for dev.physworx.com. Based on the threads I was checking out, it seems that this is the way to go for what I'm trying to accomplish. Unfortunately, no thread really explained how to do so - I've put a config file with the proper ports, server names and what not in each. physworx is setup with daeomontools and starts no probs. After starting, I try to start another instance with /usr/local/aolserver/bin/nsd-postgres -t /web/physdev/etc/config.tcl. No errors pop up and I think an instance starts but no pages come up at dev.physworx.com:8000.

Can anyone offer guidance?

Collapse
Posted by Brad Ford on
Sorry for the double post - got an error message first try and post wasn't there when I checked it but came up a few minutes later...
Collapse
Posted by Jonathan Ellis on
what does the log say?

if everything is working it would say something like

nssock: listening on dev.physworx.com:8000

Collapse
Posted by Brad Ford on
It seems to be working! It hadn't occurred to me but the problem was likely that the address hadn't propagated to the nameservers yet. All is ok now. Just have to go through the docs to figure out how to do a db dump from prod and import that into dev - doing so would give me identical setups, would it not?