Forum OpenACS Q&A: OpenACS database hacker wanted

Collapse
Posted by Christof Spitz on
Dear friends,

I am working for a non-profit organisation in Germany (www.tibet.de) and I am more or less coordinating the computer stuff there (though my main work is translating in philosophical and religious fields from original sources).

Some years ago, a friend started to move the whole database management for the institute to the ACS infrastructure (based on Oracle). This was the time of ACS 3. Because of other plans, he was not able to continue the project. We then decided to move towards OpenACS to avoid the tremendous Oracle licence fees whenever we might go from intranet to internet, and also decided to wait for OpenACS 4 because of the much stronger database API etc. Of course, the time of stable OpenACS 4 has come many month ago.

Although I aquired some basic knowledge of OpenACS and have some experience in database programming, such a project is too big for me! So we are actually looking for a programmer who could responsibly continue the work. We are mainly a religious (Buddhist) organisation but with additional social activities like a refugee aid programme. Therefore I have to say that our resources are limited. Nevertheless, there is at least some budget. One of our main field of activities are different shorter and longer study courses, some of which are going on over several years in different classes.

The main applications we need now in the intranet include management of ...

* addresses
* members
* seminars
* refugee aid programmes
* magazine subscriptions
* donations

There should be ways of filtering out data as well as printing lists, address labels etc.

Up to now, we are still working with a Clipper application that grew over the years but has come to its natural end :(

So if any of the hackers out there are interested in doing such a job (for moderate cost), in part or as a whole, I suggest you contact me directly at mailto:cs@tibet.de.

Thanks for you attention.