Forum OpenACS Q&A: Gallery Slideshow

Collapse
Posted by Nick Kokkos on
Hi everyone. Ever since I became a member of this community, I've wanted to create a package for OpenACS. I really don't have much time in general so I must say I have not become an expert on programming for this framework.
Basically this post is just a brain dump on a idea that I have. I have found this work: http://smoothslideshow.jondesign.net/ quite exciting and outstanding. Since a package based on this work has appeared on Joomla ( a quite famous CMS system), I was thinking about implementing something similar for openacs. Jon has done an amazing job so basically my part would be to create some sort of interface (administration page and main page) to upload the pictures and choose the slideshow mode.
I took a look at the code underneath OpenACS's Photoalbum package thinking that I could expose somehow the uploaded pictures and feed them to the new package, but Photoalbum uses content repository and I am not very familiar with it yet.
Well, it is just a thought. Again I make no promises when I should have something in working order because I am terribly busy with my classes.
I would like your feedback on this idea or anything else you'd like to see implemented on this package.

Thank you in advace
Nick

Collapse
2: Re: Gallery Slideshow (response to 1)
Posted by Robert Taylor on
hey that is a really cool idea!

i'd love to see what you come up with.

Collapse
3: Re: Gallery Slideshow (response to 1)
Posted by Brian Fenton on
Hi Nick,

that's a great idea - it looks straightforward to integrate too. It looks like Jon has a new version now http://smoothgallery.jondesign.net

Looking forward to your results!

Brian

Collapse
4: Re: Gallery Slideshow (response to 1)
Posted by Rocael Hernández Rizzardini on
Interesting, looking forward to the implementation!
Collapse
5: Re: Gallery Slideshow (response to 1)
Posted by Avni Khatri on
Nick - coolness!

This would be awesome for OpenACS. Another idea that might be good would be to easily sync your photos with your 23hq.com/flickr.com account and/or your local drive. What do you think?

Post if you have specific questions about the content repository.

Thanks. 😊

Avni

Collapse
6: Re: Gallery Slideshow (response to 5)
Posted by Nick Kokkos on
That would be great but let's see how this package comes along.