Forum OpenACS Q&A: Openacs.org performance update ...

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Just thought I'd let folks know that Robert Locke, with a teensy bit of help from me, has figured out one of the reasons why openacs.org gets so overloaded despite our relatively light traffic.

It's due to a bug in the query that clears out notifications after they've been sent.  My fix to these queries months ago caused the right notifications to be sent (which originally was not the case) but didn't kill them afterwards correctly.  I only fixed one of the two relevant queries, it turned out.

Therefore we have accumulated well over 5,000 notifications and about 900,000 notification->user map requests!  The mail sweeper query runs for 90 seconds or so and it is this that has caused the postmaster to hog the openacs.org box killing performance of other processes.

Robert's got a fix for the queries that we'll get installed here at openacs.org and of course in the openacs sources, too, in the next couple of days.

This won't fix the slow insert time for forum posts but will lower the overall load on the server considerably.

Good work, Robert!

Collapse
Posted by Robert Locke on
Hey Don...

The notification fix significantly boosted the overall performance of my openacs.org testbed, including posting to forums.

But I don't want to raise expectations too much.

And there's still plenty of optimization work that needs to be done! =)

Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Great work Rob!
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
I've applied Robert's patch on openacs.org.  The every-fifteen-minute cleanup proc now takes a couple of seconds (instead of five minutes like before!) and the every-minute notifier proc only takes about a second rather than about 30 seconds.

Box load should stay way way down now.

Thanks a lot, Robert!

Collapse
Posted by Talli Somekh on
This rocks!! Thanks so much Robert!

I personally really appreciate it. Thanks so much for heeding the call!

talli

Collapse
Posted by Talli Somekh on
Oh, and thanks for following up, Don. I'll buy you a beer next week.

Or better yet, I'll do you the honor of letting *you* buy *me* two beers next week.

talli

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
I think Robert may've been working on it before you started that thread, Talli, so I don't think I'll buy you any beers at all.  But I'll let you buy a buncho beers.

BTW are you going to schedule a Social or not?  May I recommend Friday of that week?

Collapse
Sure thing!

Maybe one day we'll have a social in Asia. =)

Collapse
A test post... sorry...