Forum OpenACS Development: Re: New Plan for improving Edit-This-Page

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Mark,

Maybe that is a good idea. Maybe I should start with fresh code, to develop my ideas, keeping in mind a migration path from ETP. That will lead to a cleaner design I suspect.

One of the goals I have is to _not_ require custom tcl code for every page. I definitely want to make it easier to build site. I don't know how close we can get, but I want to start with that as a goal anyway.

That is the reason for dynamic forms, for content entry, not for user level forms, at least at this point. Also that is the reason to fully use acs_attributes. We should be able to generate the data sources based on the metadata in acs_attributes. This way one index.vuh file will be sufficient and the adp fragments are all that needs to be edited.

The groundwork for this already exists in CMS, but the UI is tied to closely to the underlying mechanics. The goal is to move the services out to a tcl library so the user interface is easier to customize.

I definitely agree that widgets for dynamic navigation etc will be very useful.  In general I want to make most features available to the CMS user through includes.

I would like to understand more about "sub-trees" that you mention. I think it might be realted to an idea I was saving until it could be implemented. That is assigning categories. Then being able to address categories as a virutal directory. So files under the "foo" folder in the "bar" category could be addressed like this http://example.com/foor/bar which would show an index of all items in the bar category.