Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Help! Fixing Databases

Collapse
2: Re: Help! Fixing Databases (response to 1)
Posted by Jade Rubick on
Shawn

You've been having a run of bad luck, haven't you? Well, before anything else, I'd say that I wouldn't use CMS yet. It has a terrible UI, although it does have a very good data model, at least from what I've heard. There are some other efforts going on to build a better user experience on top of much of the CMS's core.

Have you done anything that you want to keep in the database? If not, the easiest thing to do is to drop the database, and restart it, with a new installation.

I think there is a document somewhere which shows the list of supported applications.

But to answer your question: to clean it out,

If the package is written well, you can clean it out through the admin UI

If not, then you may have to do portions of it manually.

What I'd suggest is getting on IRC and asking as you encounter your problems. You'd probably get better help there, and in real time. Info on that is at https://openacs.org/irc

We know this is very annoying, but things are improving very quickly. There are a lot of people working very hard right now to make this whole experience seemless.

Collapse
3: Re: Help! Fixing Databases (response to 2)
Posted by Sean Harrison on
Hi, Jade,

Thanks for your note. I'm chocking it all up to experience. I don't mind most of the problems, and I'm glad to know that a lot of work is being done to improve some of these issues! I hope I will be able to pitch in some, myself.

Thanks for the tip about IRC -- I'll go there next time. I tried the admin UI, then dropping the tables in psql directly, then -- oh brilliant idea -- "reindex database," which I know now never to do.

In the end I built a new OpenACS and put that up on port 80, and put the old one (from a nightly backup) on 8000 for tinkering. There are a few people who came and registered on my site last weekend, so I'll unfortunately lose their registrations, but that's all.

Unless: Is there a way to transfer registered users from one instance of OpenACS to another? That would seem to be a very helpful admin script to have...

Regards,
Shawn